Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mnixon

Daylight scares me!
What is the easiest way to get one? I've been navigating the FCC website now for a good hour and I am more confused now then when I started. I have the 605 and 159 form. is that all I need?

Something I have done and made it easy for others.

Step by Step Instructions to Obtaining Your FCC Radio Telephone License

Step 1 – Go to www.fcc.gov website and on the left hand side, in the yellow box area, click on the Forms link

Step 2 – Scroll down the page ¾ of the way and you will see

(Quick-Form Application for Authorization in the Ship, Aircraft, Amateur, Restricted and Commercial Operator, and General Mobile Radio Services) form 605. Click on Electronic Filing link.

Step 3 – On the next page you will click on the second link, being Online Filing

Step 4 – The following page ask for you FRN and pin. If you have one enter it here, if not click on the link Need and FRN? Register with the FCC.

Step 5 – Highlight the Register now circle and then click continue

Step 6 – You will be registering as an individual and check the appropriate response to the address with in the U.S. question.

Step 7 – Enter your appropriate information in the following page

Step 8 – The next page your FRN number will be displayed. Write this down or print for future reference. Click the back button four times or go to the FCC home page and using steps 1 through 3 to return to the page that ask for your FRN number. Enter your number here along with your password you submitted in the previous steps.

Step 9 – The following page will have an option to Apply for a new license. Click here.

Step 10 – This will take you to a page on which you must select the radio service for which you will be applying. Scroll down the list until you reach ( RR-Recruited Operator ). Continue

Step 11 – On the Applicant Questions page leave everything as is. It should say Regular on type and No you’re not exempt from application fees or license fees. Continue

Step 12 – Address located outside the U.S. check appropriate field. Continue.

Step 13 – Fill out your information for you license on this page. Continue

Step 14 – Click that you are eligible for employment in the U.S. Continue

Step 15 – Check that all your information is accurate and then continue.

Step 16 – Agree to all the above statements then Continue.

Step 17 – Give your electronic signature by filling in the boxes. Continue

Step 18 – Print your application and continue to Form 159

Step 19 – Fill in your FRN number and password and Continue

Step 20 – On form 159 you can either pay credit card or if you select to view form 159 you can mail in a payment. Select your choice and proceed.

Step 21 – The following page you will be able to print form 159 after your credit card has been approved.

This is the completion of you FCC Radio Telephone Operators Permit Application. You should receive you license in the mail with in 2 to 3 weeks.

Pay special attention to Step 10. I didn't have these specific of directions when I did it, and I selected AC for Aircraft and ended up with an actual Aircraft Radio Station License or something. Make sure you select RR.

The website has a mistake that makes you believe that the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is actually code (RP) but code (RR) is the one you need.

The online form is the way to go though. Register and the rest is downhill.

Disregard the information on this link http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/rp.html

yea getting that thing sucked, make sure you get the RR like posted above, i got it in the mail the next week. i can't believe i have an official FCC permit!! woohoo!

yeah, I hate that website. I figured out how to change my address but I couldn't find out how I get them to send me a new card.

I'm not sure if mine is still valid since the address on it is my old one. Anyone know how to get a new card with my current address? Will I have to pay for another one?

s3jetman, thanks for putting the tut together. That website is hellish to navigate.

slinky

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back