Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Favoritism at Colgan is how you get days off and upgrade!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
In an effort to create fair work rules for all pilots including becomming a captain by bringing ALPA on the property, apparently is not the way to go.

Instead, http://www.colganpilotgroup.com/about_us believes that favoritism is the way to go...

How do you become favorite at Colgan? And what are the rules of engagement? When playing favorites can one use lies, deceit, sex and money? If pilot X wants to upgrade can s/he say lies about pilot Z to prevent pilot Z from upgrading first? Can one pilot pay off management to upgrade before others?

Can a female pilot sleep with a management type to get an extra week off? Or will a female pilot be accused of using sex simply because another pilot perceived her to be a favorite?

If not, who will ensure that everyone plays fair in obtaining favored status?

If ALPA is approved, we will be strictly bound to our contracts, and until same is devised and perfected, our employee handbook would govern. The end result of this scenario would result in a strict standard dictating, among other things, crew scheduling giving no more favors! Everyone here has benefited by favors granted by the company at one time or another –were we to become unionized, they would all stop.

Gee, a labor contract designed to give everyone a fair chance....

Colgan goes right down senority unless you dont meet the total time or have a recent FO failed PC. I heard that this upgrade committee is a joke and every person that comes in by senority gets put in upgrade. When I worked at Colgan I swapped days with crew sch more then I did with other pilots just looked for open time pick it up and got a different day off later.

Last edited:
Colgan goes right down senority unless you dont meet the total time or have a recent FO failed PC. I heard that this upgrade committee is a joke and every person that comes in by senority gets put in upgrade. When I worked at Colgan I swapped days with crew sch more then I did with other pilots just looked for open time pick it up and got a different day off later.

TD upgraded out of seniority and flight time and is now the VP of the student council, go figure.

These days, if you try to do a day swap with crew scheduling you have just told them that you are available for the open day and WILL get drafted for it.

TD upgraded out of seniority and flight time and is now the VP of the student council, go figure.

These days, if you try to do a day swap with crew scheduling you have just told them that you are available for the open day and WILL get drafted for it.

TD upgrade before others because he had the total time and they didnt. I think this is the same case that yourself is in that is why you upgraded before some of my friends. Right now there are people that just entered upgrade or transition that are on the union commitee. If Colgan is playing favorites how did these pilots get in upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting a sweeter schedule: Send Dot a fruit basket or two, and flirt with G*na in scheduling whenever you're in MNZ on MX. Helping L*r*y out will help you out later on, too.

Upgrading earlier: thing of the past....If your goal is upgrading, get 1000 in type ASAP, keep your nose clean, pick up open time. Upgrading like 5X5 is a thing of the past.

Did I miss anything?

I love the way management threatens "no waivers, no favors" when anyone mentions ALPA. However, just because you have a union doesn't mean the Company is some how prohibited from treating their crews well. If the company wants to be good to its employees a union sure wont stop the employer.

Besides, with ALPA, we still have pilots get favorable treatment by bribing crew scheduling. Pizza's, Cookies, Bottles of Wine and Gift Baskets seem to be the most popular bribes. By the same token, cursing, hanging up on, missing your flight, seem to be the best methods for getting dealt 6 days on reserve with a lot of deadhead legs and long hotel sits.

The Company says "no waivers no favors" because they know they are long on the withdrawal end of the waivers while they come up short on the favors.

TD upgrade before others because he had the total time and they didnt. I think this is the same case that yourself JW is in that is why you upgraded before some of my beech friends. Right now there are people that just entered upgrade or transition that are on the union commitee. If Colgan is playing favorites how did these pilots get in upgrade.

You just proved my point. When I upgraded it was absolutely favoritism. There were guys that had more seniority and time than me but I was picking up open time like a fiend and happened to call TB about a half hour before someone dropped out of the upgrade class. I didn't have a year with the company, a PC, or 2200 hours.

Hello,
More and more I am finding myself wondering where the idiots that decided to set-up www.colganpilotgroup.com got their sense from? If one goes over and reads the most recent updates on the cover page you'll see what I am talking about. Specifically, the use of the word "demand" as it pertains to a list of "requests" solicited from the Colgan pilot group. These clowns seem to forget that without an NMB approved union on the property management can, may and probably will ignore any and all "demands" that the colganpilotgroup "requests" at their first annual (and LAST) meeting with management.
Unfortunately, we have a faction of greedy, selfish and self-serving pilots in this company that are only concerned with their own "rice bowl" and have set this "negotiating committee" up under the auspices of representing the best interests of the pilot group as a whole. I'm sorry, but I am not buying it. Unfortunately, for them they are not only going to be in for a bitter disappointment in the long run, but in the near term may very well be damaging their careers. Some of the guys being snowed into buying this garbage may not realize it now, BUT perhaps in 08-10 or so when the legacy carriers begin to hire...Guess what union represents these airlines??? So, perhaps D.B. and his cronies might be content with their Colganicle future. Alot of you are already realizing that Colgan isn't a destination it's more like passing through a war zone fraught with career ending land mines.
I am not saying that ALPA or any union is the 100% answer, it isn't. However, exercise some good judgement about your future and not paint yourself into a corner. The airline profession, if we are lucky is going to be a closed (ALPA) shop.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Latest resources

Back