• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Favorite ATC facility?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
chicago center...amazing volume to deal with, those people are pros!

Call me biased, but I gotta go for JFK Tracon/Tower.

I was at JFK one night when Korean Air couldn't get anything figured out (although to be fair their English, while terrible, was better than my Korean). Ground eventually says "everybody on frequency stop where you are now - Korean taxi to 31L any route you can find".

I was at JFK one night when Korean Air couldn't get anything figured out (although to be fair their English, while terrible, was better than my Korean). Ground eventually says "everybody on frequency stop where you are now - Korean taxi to 31L any route you can find".

Ha Ha!! I've heard this on JFK ground too but it involved a Mexican carrier.

The most entertaining JFK ground listening was back in the summer when delays were running hours and hours every day. There was no such thing as standard phraseology - just one hurled insult after another. I was patiently waiting for the F-Bomb, but after arriving at brink after brink, the mike was never keyed while it was said.

Not implying that at all. We wouldnt say a word about the pilots even if we have to issue every instruction to them 3 times with 15 other aircraft on the frequency in solid IFR. And we definitely wouldnt say anything about the pilot if he decideds to slow to 170 knots 40 miles from the airport with 10 aircraft behind him. NAHHHH....

My favorite was coming in to JFK one night and it was really busy.

NY approach: "American 22 what's your speed?"
American 22: "220 knots sir, and slowing down."
NY approach: "Okay American you need to let me know if your slowing down. We have a traffic jam up there tonight. Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear."

Second was sitting on the ground at LGA one day and the line was up to about 35-40. So the controller on ground control was just spitting instructions to everyone at a rapid rate.

LGA ground: "Piedmont XXX taxi blah, blah, blah."
LGA ground: "Piedmont XXX taxi blah, blah, blah."
LGA ground: "Hello McFly!!!!! Anyone home?"
I almost sh*tted in my pants.

One night while flying to BUR from LAS there was a funny exchange between LAX and an American flight...

American 123: "Were getting a bit of turbulance up here, can we decend to FL290?
LAX CTR: "American 123 sure you can however its going to be just as bumpy there."
American 123: "When can we expect to be out of this turbulance?"
LAX CTR: "American 123 when you land."
American 123: "I dunno about that, you haven't seen my copilot land!"

A good way to wake up the folks on a late night flight...thanks LAX and American! :)

Guys please, SOME of these jokes are so old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its aviation folklore. I'm not going to point fingers, but don't insult our intelligence by pretending that you witnessed these things.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back