Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Swass

So long, America.....
My cousin is trying to bust out his ratings the fastest way possible. He is part of a flying club where twins are cheap. I suggested after his private he get his MEL and log the rest of his requirements for instrument, comm etc. in the twin (or as much as is practical). What are your opinions on the most effective way to achieve this?

Yes they do. I also told him to split the costs and ride shotgun with the other student under the hood to offset some of the per hour costs. What order would you recommend getting the ratings? All my training was piece-meal when I went through.

I am paying the costs for him to do this (we've arranged a payback schedule) so I want him to be employable ASAP with plenty of multi. I have several opp's lined up for him once he is employable as an FO. The twins go for $117 hr wet so that is pretty smokin'.

PP-ASEL
PP-AMEL
PP-AMEL-IA(good for the ASEL)
CP-AMEL (IA is good from the PP-AMEL-IA)

CP-AMEL isn't good for ASEL though, but the instrument rating would be if he chose to do a CP-ASEL.

Then all the requirements should be logged with the reg part, like just an example, i dont know what this is but lets say a requirement is 10 take off and landings at night at a controlled airport, "61.157 (c) iii" etc in the remarks along with other info. Makes it easier on the examiner. Then you can highlite/cross out each requirement when done in a current FAR/AIM book.

BTW you are an awfully nice guy to be doing this for him.

Last edited:
Thanks Metro. How long did it take you to get through the training this way? We have it figured for about 9 months through commercial flying three to four times a week. He has 47 hours and is awaiting his private checkride now. He can fly about 10 hrs or so a week for now.

I was down at ATPs at Craig Field. Not including the private, which I did in high school, about 3 months flying at least every other day, if not every day, with a week of just studying in between a couple times. I had 100 or so hours before I took the private multi, though I hadn't flown in over a year and only had 8 flt hours to prepare for it. That's when sims can really come in handy.

During instrument I flew maybe 3 hours a day, almost every day, along with some time in a simulator. During the time building, which was all done on instrument flight plans, I believe I flew about 30 hours a week for maybe 2 and a half weeks. 95% of the multi time I have, sent you a PM earlier, is flying instruments.

It was about 120 hours ( on top of the 100 or so before the private multi ) in 3 months, not that bad, and can be done if you don't have any obligations. There was no rush for me, just plentyof time to knock out some ratings.

The school I went to, ATP has a good program, nice planes, but it has a few flaws, and they just jacked up the price another $5k. They offer way more than anyone needs at this point, and really ought to offer something with not as many certificates, or a commercial program, and maybe just a CFI, not the entire CFI/CFII/MEI, or an a la cart option. I have no idea why they offer their citation jet ride. Though you are doing something completely different with your cousin, and that's way better than most of us can do.

Last edited:
I had a student knock out his commercial and CFI in one checkride. Just did all the flying from the right seat, although it took a little while convincing the examiner that it was legit to do. But then again, I am still not sure it is legit to do.

Do you really want to be a good pilot or a pilot with certificates.. ATP Inc won't let you rent the airplanes. Sheble's had so many violations that they had to move from one FSDO juristriction to another one.. Find your local good school and stick with it..

Latest resources

Back