• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fogrunner

What a screwed up industry!!!!

Okay I am all fired up tonight.

Look at these idiots. Paying $36000 plus to go fly for Piedmont or ASA. What a deal go work for a place paying $20 an hour. No wonder there is downward pressure on pilot pay. Hmm let me see. Call daddy get $40000, get an MD90 type rating (that's in big demand, especially with less than a thousand total time) and when I am finished. Ahh yes, go work for a company making $23000.

http://www.erau.edu/capt/careers/index.html

Where is my Barf Bucket!!!!!!!!!!

MEET CAPT CADET KATHRYN ZACKOriginally from Scottsdale, Arizona, Ms. Zack had always dreamed of a career as an airline pilot. After working in loss prevention for a major department store chain, she decided to apply for admission to CAPT.

“I began my training with the understanding that it would be intense. I knew the standards and expectations would be extreme, and I knew I was up to it. In retrospect, I wasn't as prepared as I had originally believed. The obstacles that I encountered and overcame in the early months, such as social interactions and personal fears, were unforeseeable. Conquering these situations has not only made me a stronger person, but ultimately a better pilot.

"There isn't a person in this program, instructor and student alike, that doesn't have a true passion for aviation. We all know why we are here, and we are all focused on achieving the same goal. It is a rare phenomenon to have such talented, intelligent, and determined people involved in the same program.

“Daily life in the CAPT program requires our complete attention. The schedules change from week to week and there is always quite a lot going on at one time. A usual day consists of three to four hours of class followed by five to six hours at the flight line with some lunch time worked in. Afterwards, I’ll grab some dinner and study for the next day. My typical day ends around midnight and begins again at six o’clock in the morning.

“I have had the good fortune to receive instruction from a majority of the instructors in the CAPT program, and I have come to two main conclusions. Not only is the quality of instruction unlike anything I've experienced, but I have never had the honor of being a part of a better group of people."

fogrunner said:
What a screwed up industry!!!!

Okay I am all fired up tonight.

Look at these idiots. Paying $36000 plus to go fly for Piedmont or ASA. What a deal go work for a place paying $20 an hour. No wonder there is downward pressure on pilot pay. Hmm let me see. Call daddy get $40000, get an MD90 type rating (that's in big demand, especially with less than a thousand total time) and when I am finished. Ahh yes, go work for a company making $23000.

http://www.erau.edu/capt/careers/index.html

Where is my Barf Bucket!!!!!!!!!!

MEET CAPT CADET KATHRYN ZACKOriginally from Scottsdale, Arizona, Ms. Zack had always dreamed of a career as an airline pilot. After working in loss prevention for a major department store chain, she decided to apply for admission to CAPT.

“I began my training with the understanding that it would be intense. I knew the standards and expectations would be extreme, and I knew I was up to it. In retrospect, I wasn't as prepared as I had originally believed. The obstacles that I encountered and overcame in the early months, such as social interactions and personal fears, were unforeseeable. Conquering these situations has not only made me a stronger person, but ultimately a better pilot.

"There isn't a person in this program, instructor and student alike, that doesn't have a true passion for aviation. We all know why we are here, and we are all focused on achieving the same goal. It is a rare phenomenon to have such talented, intelligent, and determined people involved in the same program.

“Daily life in the CAPT program requires our complete attention. The schedules change from week to week and there is always quite a lot going on at one time. A usual day consists of three to four hours of class followed by five to six hours at the flight line with some lunch time worked in. Afterwards, I’ll grab some dinner and study for the next day. My typical day ends around midnight and begins again at six o’clock in the morning.

“I have had the good fortune to receive instruction from a majority of the instructors in the CAPT program, and I have come to two main conclusions. Not only is the quality of instruction unlike anything I've experienced, but I have never had the honor of being a part of a better group of people."

How much did you pay for college?

How much did you pay for College?

The program lasts a year. You have to have a degree to be accepted into the program. 4yr degree plus the CAPT program. What a deal.....

Do you ever actually read peoples posts before you comment. You had a lot to say on the World Airways thread... Have you actually flown for World, or any other ACMI operator.....

You are great with one liners.... yet you lack substance...

I know, I know, you are home every night..........

Last edited:
fogrunner said:
The program lasts a year. You have to have a degree to be accepted into the program. 4yr degree plus the CAPT program. What a deal.....

Do you ever actually read peoples posts before you comment. You had a lot to say on the World Airways thread... Have you actually flown for World, or any other ACMI operator.....

Do you enjoy talking to yourself?

fogrunner said:

Is he or she gonna make $23000 forever, ummmmmm no. Relax francis you will live longer. My point still stands how much did you pay for flight training then? Twenty or thirty thousand, whats the difference? And yes it is nice to see my kids every night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will probably be flying with some of these CAPT grads in the near future. We shall see what we see...

For what it's worth, I fly with allot of rather low time pilots from UND and Purdue. By and large, they do a great job; especially when one takes into account that most have less than 700 hours total with low double digit multi times. There is no replacing experience, but what most of these guys and gals bring to the table is a good educational base and a high level of motivation to learn. When I first upgraded (fairly recently to be honest) I was uneasy about the experience level in the right seat. Not so much now. There are a few bad apples, but someone in Fargo and West Lafayette is doing an O.K. job.

Now, would I recommend the CAPT program to someone? Probably not. The concept of a type rating for someone who doesn't even have an ATP in a piece of equipment they stand NO chance of flying seems gratuitous to me. As a Riddle grad myself, I fail to see why they would even feel the need to offer such a program that is not even available to the matriculated students. It must be the all-mighty dollar. I'm disappointed in my alma mater but not suprised.

Anyhow, I guess we'll see how they do out on the line.

How can any of this capt program stuff suprise anyone. Cant we all see that being an airline pilot requires some stupid program and a wad of cash. Funny how much it has changed from 30 years ago.

hey assface, not sure why your are such a clown. you sound like one of the captians that everyone at my crashpad makes fun of and imitates behind his back. you can count on that happening for a long time.

you "want to get something to eat"
me "no im not hungy"
(i sneak out the back door of the hotel, and meet the FA for some drinks)

you sir are the dork

Buying our jobs

I'm with Fogrunner on this one, soon pilot jobs will not be available to those who qualify due to experience, but rather how much money you can offer for it, "congratulations sir you are the highest bidder, the job is yours." Well a year down the road you will kick yourself.

Last edited:
Programs like this come and go. Unfortunately for the graduates....if it doesn't work out or the company they have the "deal" with goes belly up or is sold, they are out a lot of money and have no real experience to offer another employer and a type that will mean something only many, many years down the road. That program will be around for a year or two and then they'll come up with something else to fleece wannabies with.

Latest resources

Back