• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Family Leave at CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I admit it's a long shot, but you never know. Whatever the outcome it will be a good show as always.

My babies bleed maroon.

Congrat's on the baby.

Have you contacted the ALPA office and asked them what the deal is?

I specifically remember having run into someone with this very same situation while I was in new hire training. I know that they had just gone through indoc, and then something with the family had come up and they had to bail. It was no problem at the time, but that was of course almost 7 years ago.

BTW, as a father of 2 I can tell you that 1 to 2 months at home with the little ones is a LONG TIME! I needed out after a couple of weeks:D
Just kidding (thats for my wife)

Fmla

Congrats!

The Family Medical Leave Act requires you to be an active employee of 1 year before you are eligible. The Flight Department can grant you Personal Time Off if they have the staffing for it.

Good luck!

Someone in my new hire class was in a similiar situation. The company seemed very willing to work with him, as it turned out he was on a break of 4 days off when the baby came, he took his type ride and went home for a couple weeks then started IOE. I do think there was an impact on pay. I am also aware of someone else who was given time off, but all without pay. Just let them know on day one.

I agree with you the contract seems pretty clear, but remember you have no union protection while on probation. And fed law says not required less employed for at least a year. I am in a similiar situation trying to get my fmla for baby #2 while on probation, I don't anticipate a problem but also don't know what recourse I would have if it gets denied.

Enjoy CAL and more importantly enjoy the baby.

Latest resources

Back