• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Failed Checkride Poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We're one of the few professions that I can think of where we are constantly tested and evaluated no matter how much experience we get and how many trouble-free years/hours we have flown. I wish that the Part 121 environment would get away from a constant emphasis on testing and go to a recurrent training model where learning and practice is emphasized.

If you start ending the careers of pilots who bust a checkride or two then there won't be many pilots left. Nobody in their right mind would go to work for a new airline or bid onto a new plane at an existing airline because if the training program isn't perfected or is under increased FAA scrutiny and failure rates are above normal their career could be over.

What about GA busts that were 10, 15 or 20+ years ago? Should we start firing everybody in every profession who failed a class in college or got a bad grade? This will be just one more incentive for people to either not go into this profession or leave it. You're going to expect a young person to invest 80-100K in training and education when they know that one checkride bust will end their career and render them unemployable? They want the standards to go up while the pay, QOL, job security goes down and the stress level goes up.........why bother?

SEN. LAUTENBERG: --who took that airplane down past my apartment building, by the way, on the way to the river. I wasn't home then, but, you know, how do we know that the react time, that the training is sufficient as the captain did on the United flight that saved over 150 lives.

It's U.S. Airways, SENATOR!

How about a 1 strike you're out for our esteemed members of the Congress. One indecent exposure in public, One mistress caught by the media, One speeding ticket, One mispoken word that cause the public to squirmish...

Sometimes i wish they spend more time on their vacation...Oh wait, they already do. If that's what our taxpayer's money going, it's pretty pathetic.

Rant over:)

What a moron...... He obviously has no clue about any of this stuff.

I've failed one ride in 23 years of commercial flying. I was pissed off, until roughly 60% of my fellow pilots were failing as well due to a certain, zero tolerance DE with a small crank (confirmed second hand from a FA who had been there).

It was my ATR type ride (my 4th type at the time). The ride was one of the best rides I've ever taken. I busted for going 60' below MDA on base to final turn, during a single engine circle to land NDB in the ATR sim. I was arguably in position to land, and the guy still busted me for the entire ride. This was nearly 20 years ago, and I still hate that bastard for the black mark on my career. I did the retest and passed with the CP, our POI and an ALPA guy in the sim at MY request. The DE was more nervous than I was.

The Feds were gonna yank our training dept out from under us because we obviously weren't being trained to proficiency. The DE in question was also the director of training for our company. He killed whatever chance he had for a career in the industry during his reign of terror at a small commuter, and currently resides in the "where are they now" file.......

We must not give morons like this complete control over our careers.

We're one of the few professions that I can think of where we are constantly tested and evaluated no matter how much experience we get and how many trouble-free years/hours we have flown.

The testing though is very subjective at all levels of aviation (61, 141, 121, etc.) and the testers are highly biased in many cases (especially part 61 where $$$ is involved).

In spite of that we still have people who fail a lot of checkrides. We have a guy who flew by me. Private was a triple failure, instrument double failure, commercial qaudruple failure.

Checkrides need to be come less subjective, less biased, and have some consequences. I don't think 1 strike and your out is fair, but I also don't think a person with 9 check ride failures should be flying a C150 let alone a 747.

I have not failed a 121 ride yet but I have only been doing this for 10 years.

My dad had a 29 year career with Hughes, Republic and NWA and he busted his 320 ride...coming from 727s and dc-9s. That was his only bust in a long career. If this senator fights to make sure that folks like my dad lose their career I will personally set fire to his ass hair.

Don't worry, if the government can fire a pilot for a busted checkride, then I'm sure we're far from the day that a doctor will be fired (by the nationalized healthcare system) once one of their patients die. After all, we wouldn't want bad doctors in the national healthcare system.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Champ42272

What a moron...... He obviously has no clue about any of this stuff.

I've failed one ride in 23 years of commercial flying. I was pissed off, until roughly 60% of my fellow pilots were failing as well due to a certain, zero tolerance DE with a small crank (confirmed second hand from a FA who had been there).

It was my ATR type ride (my 4th type at the time). The ride was one of the best rides I've ever taken. I busted for going 60' below MDA on base to final turn, during a single engine circle to land NDB in the ATR sim. I was arguably in position to land, and the guy still busted me for the entire ride. This was nearly 20 years ago, and I still hate that bastard for the black mark on my career. I did the retest and passed with the CP, our POI and an ALPA guy in the sim at MY request. The DE was more nervous than I was.

The Feds were gonna yank our training dept out from under us because we obviously weren't being trained to proficiency. The DE in question was also the director of training for our company. He killed whatever chance he had for a career in the industry during his reign of terror at a small commuter, and currently resides in the "where are they now" file.......

We must not give morons like this complete control over our careers.

Did you ever make it to a major airline?.....and if not do you think this stopped you? I doubt it did if you are on somewhere.

SEN. LAUTENBERG: Well, would NASA say if you want to go up in a shuttle that they give you a bunch of times to pass the test?

MR. BABBITT: Well—

What Babbit should have said was...

"Last time I checked, the space shuttle doesn't fly to and from the moon 5 times a day 10-20 times per month every month!!!! That is not a valid analogy Senator, perhaps you are not the best person to decide acceptable training standards since you cannot make a logical argument."

Don't criminals get "three strikes" before they're "out"? What's with this terror campaign against pilots? Hasn't the fallout from outsourcing, 9-11, and eight years of TSA and the Bush Admin been damaging enough?

Latest resources

Back