Failed Checkride Poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As the old adage goes... "those can't do, teach."

Really? I must have missed a memo, since I have been doing BOTH for 15 years. :confused:

I do agree that those who teach, though, should also DO.

Last edited:
I think what this thread highlights is the need for professional references to affirm one's ability in the flightdeck. The subjectivity of our training system (especially at the GA level) combined with questionable content validity (although a good exercise, I strongly question why steep turns are PC material) do not give us a good picture of one's competence.

Using checkride histories for hiring and retaining pilots is useless unless you're looking at the most extreme of cases. Such records are just one facet of a pilot's skill set. I'll take the guy with great social skills and a couple busts over someone who thinks he/she can do no wrong.

This all seems to stem from Renslow's five failures, three of which were in the realm of general aviation. I personally think the media made a huge red herring over it, but we're going to face more scrutiny regardless. Airlines have already started monitoring programs, which will necessitate additional line checks on low timers, those with histories of training deficiencies, and those new to an aircraft/seat. The benefits of these programs can only be realized if GOOD people are in the training departments.

Saw this on another board and think it would be informative in the majors section. Senator Lautenberg seems to think that a "one strike and you're out" rule for 121 operations is reasonable...

EDIT - I evidently can't figure out how to add a poll on this forum. So, for those at the majors, do you think a couple busts in primary training has anything to do with skill 4,000 hours later? How do we police our own should someone repeatedly fail proficiency checks?

http://lautenberg.senate.gov/contact/index1.cfm

(202) 224-3224

I have no failures, but this is insane.

Last edited:
The saying goes more like this: Those who can do, DO; Those who can't do, teach; and those who can't teach, teach GYM.

Make your choice.

Aviation operations like any other business and I use that word sparingly, will hire and promote whomever and whatever they I like and see fit to do so within their control. If you don't like it, you can just jump on the nearest rusty nail and sit and spin.

Really? I must have missed a memo, since I have been doing BOTH for 15 years. :confused:

I do agree that those who teach, though, should also DO.

I think we've all "taught" at some point as CFI's. Perhaps the expression is more suited to those in more traditional teaching roles. Sterotypes aren't always accurate of course, but this one holds some truth. Think of the know-it-all who can't do jack when it comes time to do jack, yet they talk a good game. It works both ways too. Those who can do and do well - aren't always the best teachers, either.

Some of you guys are over-reacting. Lautenberg is simply like most people who are ignorant of everything having to do with aviation. Babbit's job is to educate him. Judging purely from the exchange above he should've done better but I don't think we need to start worrying about mass terminations.

MOST PEOPLE aren't United States Senators able to screw over millions with the introduction of a single sentence into a 1,000 page document.

He SHOULD be smart enough to do a little research before he opens his yap.

Latest resources

Back