Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Factual answers only please (CAL Hiring)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just wondering why people did not bid 777 EWR. ie... What sucks about it?

Junior forever, years probably. If you live there, it's probably not bad. If you commute, you are hating life. For the first two years at CAL you are semi seat locked. You can move up in size (737 to 757/767, 757/767 to 777), but you can't move down (757/767 to 737, etc...). Most people choose the 737 thinking that if they don't like it they can move up to the 757/767. If you choose the 757/767 and hate it, you can not move down and enjoy better senority. If you get the 777, you're stuck for two years whether you like it or not.

Choose wisely grasshopper.

If you live locally and dont' mind reserve, the 777 is probably a gift from god.. barely work. The 737 is slave labor. The 756 is the best of both worlds. If getting a line as quickly as possible (most commuters) is important, 737 is probably the way to go. If you live in Hoboken and spend more time chasin tail than worrying about work, the 777 is the way to go. If you are in the middle, the 756 is it.

I recommend the 756, unless you are senior to 10/05.. then stay on the 737 or go to the 777 and try out rsv.. :)

How's the culture at CO? Do pilots get along overall with other groups, ie. F/A's, agents, screw scheduling.

Are the Captains you fly with for the most part "normal"? Old Farts or disgruntled?

I was in EWR the other day watching the crews walking around. Most of the younger F/O's looked somewhat happy while many of the white hairs had a smug look on their face.

I'm trying like hell to get an interview....5 good rec's (3 of whom i've flown with), time in 73NG's, and more than willing to take more than a half pay cut, UGH.

For all of you guys that have been hired, congrats! I think it's the place to be...i keep my cell phone close at all times.

imho

Cooper:

The culture at CO is solid - and improving. There will always be "those" guys at every airline, anyways. Just try to avoid the stereotypes that exist about all the airlines and search for the facts from reliable sources before making a judgment.

I have flown just under 225 hours in the last 7 months and am enjoying my reserve on the 756. I have been able to catch up on 8 years of not sleeping, not watching tv and not chillin' with some friends...

If I wanted to ditch pax and just fly boxes, I would have went to UPS/FedEx. If I wanted to fly 26-28 hour 4 days (in one type of a/c), I would be trying like heck to get on with SWA. If I just wanted to be rich, I would have went to law school and bought a cirrus for the weekends!

I wanted a taste of everything. Some trips at CAL are quite productive and I do see some boxes get loaded on the plane during my walkaround. Then I get so say hi to some customers as they board and let them know how glad we are glad to have them on board. I can also do all of this in a 737, 757, 767, 787 (soon), or 777

The industry turning around is like all the restaurants opening up around the same time in the mall - where do you eat? wherever you want.

If I had to do it all over again, I would still choose CAL.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Last edited:
How's the culture at CO? Do pilots get along overall with other groups, ie. F/A's, agents, screw scheduling.

DB, I'm not sure where you would be coming from, but compared to a regional airline (former Indy here), this place isn't as tight as I'm used to. That being said, I've gotten along with nearly everyone and had a pretty dang good time so far. It's just really the first airline I've been at where you can fly with someone (pilot and especially FA) and not run across them again for months/years/ever.. I held a line pretty much out of the gate, but the short time dealing with scheduling on the 75 wasn't too bad. More professional than my old coworkers in that regard.

Are the Captains you fly with for the most part "normal"? Old Farts or disgruntled?
The answer to that question is "yes". There are every type here (again 756 fleet). I've only run across one in the year that I've been here that I would much rather not fly with again.. I think he's retired now, though. Sometimes the CAs are pretty cool, sometimes they slamclick and that could probably be a good thing. I've had more than one overnight where everyone is hanging out except the CA. Also had it the other way around.

I was in EWR the other day watching the crews walking around. Most of the younger F/O's looked somewhat happy while many of the white hairs had a smug look on their face.
That's generally the way it is at most places. Most new guys are happy to be here and it probably shows. The old guys range from "this is the greatest job in the world" to knowing how many more legs they have until they retire and it's not fast enough...

I'm trying like hell to get an interview....5 good rec's (3 of whom i've flown with), time in 73NG's, and more than willing to take more than a half pay cut, UGH.
Ahh.. my favorite topic. The pay cut and no insurance for 6mos flat out blows. It annoys the hell out of me that they (pilots) allowed such a pay rate to be implimented for first year guys. The no health insurance for 6 mos is company wide, I believe, and not to just screw the pilots. It sure does hurt, however. All that said, I knew the pay rate and insurance issues before I signed up for the job, so it's not like I was blindsided when I got here. I will say if you get hired and into an aircraft where you can hold a line quickly (most likely the 737EWR now), you will make considerably more than $27.5k the first year. Including perdiem (some would argue against using that, but it is money coming in), I made probably close to $40k during the first 12 months of employment.

For all of you guys that have been hired, congrats! I think it's the place to be...i keep my cell phone close at all times.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Everyone I have worked with has been great. A real class act. I have been here about a year and 2 months, very professional crews and a lot of fun. Also per the question about moving back down to smaller aircraft you can if it's an upgrade....

Patriot328,

Thanks for the input. I was too at ACA pre-Indy. I left for a job I thought would be a career. Didn't work out that way unfortunatly. Looking back, I don't think I quite realized it at the time, but ACA was a hell of a company. Good people and well run.

I've talked to many folks at CO, and it sounds like a great place to be too. Hope to join you there sometime soon.

DB

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back