Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Factual answers only please (CAL Hiring)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How long would you guestimate for reserve if hired in the next six months?

response for above question

i was hired in september of last year(737 EWR), finished trng in november, finished ioe in mid-december, back in houston in february, holding a conversion line in april, hard line since june. hiring that was going on then is about the same that is going to start now. if i had stayed in ewr i would've held a conversion line in feb, and hard line in april.

i would imagine the progression would be the same if hired early on. the closer you are to the summer months the longer you'll be on reserve b/c they shut the trng down to a trickle.

Last edited:
This is from the CAL ALPA web site and is the planned classes for the remainder of the year. Last official word was 36 hired in Sept. With 60 a month planned from Oct thru April.

September:

Sept. 6, 2006
Sept. 12, 2006
Sept. 28, 2006​

October:
Oct. 3, 2006
Oct. 10, 2006
Oct. 17, 2006
Oct. 24, 2006
Oct. 31, 2006​

November:
Nov. 7, 2006
Nov. 14, 2006
Nov. 28, 2006​

December:​

Dec. 5, 2006
Dec. 12, 2006
Dec. 19, 2006

* This is a tentative list of new hire classes for pilots as known on August 15.
As always with the company, subject to change at a moments notice.​

The first year pay is hard, real hard. I just fini$hed today. Thank God. The schedules are good. I was able to transfer from EWR to IAH 6 months after I was hired and held a conversion line 5 months after I was hired. I sat reserve for 2 months. I'm able to trade into all two day trips, which are great for non commuters. The senority progression is probably the best in the industry right now.

Overall, I would definetly come here. It was a great move.

how long before a new hire could hold commutable three day trips with four off? Is GUM really 10 on/ 20 off?

It depends on what kinda 3 day you want. With PBS you may not see the traditional 3 on 4 sched. might still get 17 days off within your first 3 months on line during the big hiring boom we are in. I got hired in May (737 EWR) and am sitting reserve as we speak. I have been on line since mid July.

GUM can be flown 10 on 20 off and you can back your schedules up (fly last 10 days of this month and first 10 days of next). You can do this because most of the trips have IRO's. This is not first hand knowledge just info from others that have done it.

The first year pay is hard, real hard. I just fini$hed today. Thank God. The schedules are good. I was able to transfer from EWR to IAH 6 months after I was hired and held a conversion line 5 months after I was hired. I sat reserve for 2 months. I'm able to trade into all two day trips, which are great for non commuters. The senority progression is probably the best in the industry right now.

Overall, I would definetly come here. It was a great move.

I agree with PK. First year sucks but as of today I no longer qualify for food stamps :laugh:

I'm on the 757/767 in Newark and it's been great. I sat reserve for two months and had a conversion line for two months. Pref bidding and open time gives us a good mix of flying so I will usually get about 12-14 days off a month with both F/O and IRO flying. I usually fly as F/O but some of the better trips that I can't hold as an F/O I can as an IRO. This month will be the first time in a year that I have to commute in a day early for my trip. I was going to trade it but it's a 2 day trip with 24 hours in AUA so I decided to keep it. :D

Good luck!! It's a great place to work.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back