Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.eaa.org/govt/user_fees_eaa_briefing.html

Questions Congress must answer this year:
1) Does the FAA require more money to continue its current operations?

2) Is the existing revenue-generating system of fuel and ticket taxes, combined with contributions from the general fund, failing to meet the FAA’s current and projected operational and capital improvement needs?

3) Should the system of taxes that has been in place for nearly four decades be continued or should a system of user fees be implemented?

4) How much of the operational cost of the nation’s aviation infrastructure should be paid by U.S. taxpayers as a whole through the general fund?

5) Are various users and beneficiaries of the national airspace system paying their fair share of the costs?

6) Who should have control of the national airspace system – the Congress, the Administration, or the airlines?

7) How else are we going to pay for this stupid war?

Yes it was a Typo. Thank for being so open minded to point out a simple mistake.

Add insult to injury, The airlines screamed for deregulation and finally got it in 1978. It took them 29 years to run the industry down to where it is today.

How long do you think it will take them to run the largest and safety airtransportation system in the world to it's knees?!!!

People who give up the slightest bit of freedom to feel self secure are fools...

Come on now. After 1,500+ posts I'd think you'd know FI better than that ;)

:beer:
I know, but sometimes I cant resist. I believe that in the beginning that I was just throwing out some bait. But this has been fun.

I read in Aviation Week that the airlines pay something like 95% (or thereabouts; I don't have it in front of me) of the monies collected in fuel taxes, and that this new plan would bring their contribution down to 72% (again, or something), which is more in line with their usage.

It occurred to me that the airlines need a sophisticated ATC system more than the GA and business planes do. That's not to say the smaller operators don't need it; certainly, they do. But they have more options as to when, where, how, and if they fly. They have a smaller and more understanding clientele. They don't have to convince the little old lady from Ipanema that they are as safe as Amtrak or Greyhound. Their need for full ATC services is somewhat less than that of the airlines.

If ATC were a private business-- were it my private business-- I'd find an excuse to charge the airlines a little more. Maybe around 20% more. Why? Because you make your money where you can. The airlines themselves understand this; it is why First Class is priced THREE TIMES as much as Economy Class.

So, I'm unswayed by the argument that FAA user fees are more "fair". A product or service is worth what you can get people to pay for it, not what it costs you to provide. What it costs you to provide is completely irrelevant. If we want a robust, healthy system, we will continue to fund it in a way that factors in people's need for it. Fuel taxes are simple, practical way of approximating that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back