• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA user fees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really I doubt we would hardly notice a 400% increase inthe gas tax, that would be less than a $1.00/gal increase. Gas had bounced around due to markets conditons outside of $1.00/gal range. It will not stop me from flying and we will still have the the cheapest place in the world for GA flying. Now users fees those scare me!

Nice retort. How does this "kill" GA. All the VFR weekend warriors will be fine. All those getting an instrument rating will simply have to pony up the user fee for like 3 cross countries. Charter Companies, Air Ambulances, etc will simply have to pass on the cost to their customers. All this will do is make those who needlessly clog up airports in IFR weather pay to do so. Its about time they stop cessnas and pipers from making all the other airlines hold just because they want to do a full approach in IFR conds. Talk about making a big deal out of nothing. This won't affect a large portion of GA at all

Boy, you are really well informed about this user fee stuff. (Been drinking the Kool-aid again I see) User fees are so much more than a pittance paid to file an IFR flight plan. It is expected that user fees wil be added to everything from weather briefings to mandatory landing fees. In the Netherlands right now it costs $1000 to take a knowledge test. Is that the kind of legacy you want to leave up and coming pilots? And by the way, at one point we were all in a 172 clogging up the pattern.

Really I doubt we would hardly notice a 400% increase inthe gas tax, that would be less than a $1.00/gal increase. Gas had bounced around due to markets conditons outside of $1.00/gal range. It will not stop me from flying and we will still have the the cheapest place in the world for GA flying. Now users fees those scare me!

The 400% increase in fuel tax is only one of many fees added to GA. How about the proposed additional fees for getting a medical, issuing a pilot certificate, annual aircraft registration, etc.

If you think the fuel tax on GA is no big deal, then how about applying that same tax to the airlines?

One thing that has not been mentioned, is that when the typical GA aircraft is flying, the money spent by the pilot to operate that aircraft has already been hit with an income tax. The same cannot be said about an airliner.

How about the proposed additional fees for getting a medical, issuing a pilot certificate, annual aircraft registration, etc.

the money spent by the pilot to operate that aircraft has already been hit with an income tax. The same cannot be said about an airliner.

The FAA has no annual registration reguirement, only the initial registration (14CFR45). Now, individual states do, but thats a different matter.

Will my federal taxes go down since I won't be subsidizing the FAA any longer?

One good thing is this will most likely compound the growing world wide pilot shortage. This may drive up wages at the entry level, or put the entry level operators out of business.

One good thing is this will most likely compound the growing world wide pilot shortage. This may drive up wages at the entry level, or put the entry level operators out of business.
Thats what I am saying, bad for everyone else. Good for me.

The FAA has no annual registration reguirement, only the initial registration (14CFR45). Now, individual states do, but thats a different matter.

Will my federal taxes go down since I won't be subsidizing the FAA any longer?

According to AOPA, there is an annual aircraft registration fee contained in this new funding proposal.

But there is no annual registration in the federal regs. I know, I've owned several different aircraft continuously since 1981.

But there is no annual registration in the federal regs. I know, I've owned several different aircraft continuously since 1981.

There is no annual registration fee today, but this new FAA user fee proposal does contain one. From the AOPA website at: http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2007/070215students.html,
"The FAA has proposed some 13 new or increased fees that would impact pilots, aircraft owners, and mechanics at various times through their aviation lives. Registering an aircraft would cost $130, plus a recurrent renewal fee."

I keep myself informed, I'm also an aircraft owner.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back