• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Simulation of CLT ATC runway incursion with PSA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow. Great example of the need to listen up. The PSA crew no doubt thought it was the AC behind them cleared to taxi and hold. The pilatus didn't notice the same runway takeoff clearance for 18L and then didn't check for traffic.

Wrong.

The aircraft behind (adjacent to) them was an Mesa 900. Both crews failed at situational awareness. The PSA crew operates at CLT day in and out. They should have been aware of the Pilatus' position as he was cleared for takeoff. The pilot of the Pilatus should have been aware of an aircraft just cleared for takeoff from the same runway and should have been looking for it. The PSA crew probably was not listening to ATC because they were calling out important checklist items such as CAS..... Clear....Anti Ice.......Cowls...OFF.. Wings ...OFF....Ignition.. OFF, Did we put the wings on for 2 min yet?

The PSA crew was already taking off when the Pilatus was told to enter the runway from what I have been told, and from what I can see. They saved the day.

Easy there, tiger. I can't for the life of me pin even an ounce of blame on the PSA crew. Given the circumstances, the Captain did a fantastic job in responding quickly enough and just as importantly, swerving effectively. 0 damage to the airplane, and by 10 feet.

In my eyes, of the two, only the Pilatus could be reasonably expected to have been able to prevent this. He was given an intersection position and hold right after the PSA was cleared for takeoff (should have been paying attention), and on top of that, from what it looks like, he did not "clear right" before taking the runway.

How is the PSA crew supposed to know that the other aircraft being given a "position and hold" wasn't at the starting point behind them? I think you're expecting way too much from anybody. The only thing you can blame the PSA crew for is failing to adequately perform the Tower Controller's job.

What Abernathy said.

The aircraft behind (adjacent to) them was an Mesa 900. Both crews failed at situational awareness. The PSA crew operates at CLT day in and out. They should have been aware of the Pilatus' position as he was cleared for takeoff. The pilot of the Pilatus should have been aware of an aircraft just cleared for takeoff from the same runway and should have been looking for it. The PSA crew probably was not listening to ATC because they were calling out important checklist items such as CAS..... Clear....Anti Ice.......Cowls...OFF.. Wings ...OFF....Ignition.. OFF, Did we put the wings on for 2 min yet?

VERY GOOD POINT!!

In addition, some airlines have people checking fuel, verifying runway heading, setting lights, etc, etc.... It is crazy how everytime a new checklist comes out, we are getting more and more stuff piled on us at this very critical phase of flight.

-They really do need to dial back on the busywork anytime we are entering a runway-it is totally out of hand!

Last edited:
VERY GOOD POINT!!

In addition, some airlines have people checking fuel, veryfying runway heading, setting lights, etc, etc.... It is crazy how everytime a new checklist comes out, we are getting more and more stuff piled on us at this very critical phase of flight.

-They reaslly do need to dial back on the busywork anytime we are entering a runway-it it totally out of hand!

Totally agree! When taking the runway there's only on thing the crew should be thinking about. And thats "Flying"! Amazing sometimes that I see my FO's head buried in a Checklist when we are trying to find our way around the airport.
Anyway...... Good Point..

Keep them in the kitchen. The pilatus pilots are just as much to blame as the cook, I mean controller

Maybe babbit can write another piece alpa mag stating how pilots need to be more professional. He needs to look at his own agency and how crap of a job they do

Keep them in the kitchen. The pilatus pilots are just as much to blame as the cook, I mean controller

The male ground had the chance to catch the pilatues mistake when he went past his assigned taxiway but he did not, handing off the accident to the tower controller.

The male ground had the chance to catch the pilatues mistake when he went past his assigned taxiway but he did not, handing off the accident to the tower controller.

I don't see how any of that is a factor. The tower controllers cleared an aircraft for takeoff at one end of the runway while clearing another airplane for an intersection position and hold. Even if he missed the taxiway, he was still cleared into position at an intersection. And he was supposed to be at an intersection for takeoff to begin with.

the pilatus guy missed the taxiway he started the event. the female and male controllers were not paying attention

The Pilatus exactly did exactly as he was told. Clearly, the controller(s) screwed up. Still, there were several people that COULD have caught this. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

With the slope of the runway, the low profile of the -200, and the opposing angle the Pilatus entered the runway at, it's no suprise to me that neither party saw each other.

The pilatus pilot may have cleared right, but with the angle he was at, probably saw nothing but a few feet of runway off his right shoulder- seeing mostly the right seat and sidewall beside him.............

Absolutely not the crews fault in any way, shape, or form- clearly controller error, in my opinion. Kudos to the PSA Captain for the well executed evasive maneuver. I'm curious how much time he and the F/O got off after that to settle down: )

Latest resources

Back