FAA Set to Raise Retirement Age

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
$$$$4nothin wrote:
I don't want someone who is 64 or 65 driving a car with me in it let alone flying an aircraft. How many of you let your 65 year old parents drive when you are in the car. Thats what I thought.

Judging by your past postings, current attitude and total time, I wouldn't trust you to taxi a plane with my pet Labrador on board from the hanger to the gas pit. That's what I think.

Hey Superman Warturd, what I think of you is that you should go for a long walk with your lab and retire. GREEDY BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!

You got your great career because the guys in front of you had to go at 60. They AND you knew the rules when decided to fly 121 and not 91 or 135. The hipocracy in this age 60 arguement is just down right funny.

Ok, why should I eat dog food and push carts at WM just so YOU can have a cherry career? You want fair? Go to law school... TC

What I want to know is why are you old farts pushing so hard for age 65 now, instead of years ago? Clearly you saw the end of your career in the distance. Why didn't you start the effort earlier?

Pot, meet kettle.

Ok, why should I eat dog food and push carts at WM just so YOU can have a cherry career? You want fair? Go to law school... TC

Wow AA your quote applies as much to you as it does to me. Maybe you should have gone to law school, your arguements are brilliant.

Age 60 is the rule, fair or not. You knew it, you benefitted from it. You got your 4 stripes 5 years earlier because of age 60 And now you want 5 an xtra yrs of top pay at my wife and kids expense.

Last edited:
That's the point. None of those who lost their pensions had any indication that it could happen. How can you prepare for an eventuality that is inconceivable?

Its called personal responsibility. When I was hired at Delta, I met with my financial planner shortly thereafter. I told him I wanted to plan my retirement as if the DB plan would not exist when I hit 60. If I retired and the pension was still around then that would be icing on the cake. You cannot count on the company your work for or the govt. You were just naive and now want others to pay for your mistake.

That's the point. None of those who lost their pensions had any indication that it could happen. How can you prepare for an eventuality that is inconceivable?

Inconceivable? Hardly. Peruse the list of airlines that are no longer in operation. Plenty of other pilots' A funds evaporated over the course of every pilot's career. There are more than a couple of former giants of the industry on that list. For anyone to consider their company or themselves bulletproof is truly foolhardy. History is littered with pilots' lost pensions - in enough frequency for any pilot to realize that they may meet the same fate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_airlineshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zantop_International_Airlines

Ok, I'll go back to my original point: There are no guarantees in aviation. Age 60 may change and screw you. Age 60 may not change and screw those who have lost their pensions or been furloughed at an older age with no time to recover.

I was just trying to counter the "it's a rule" argument.

But at least we've cleared up any doubt about the motivation of both sides: personal greed. Whatever side you're on, there can be no level of rationalization that will obscure that fact. TC

What I want to know is why are you old farts pushing so hard for age 65 now, instead of years ago? Clearly you saw the end of your career in the distance. Why didn't you start the effort earlier?

Pot, meet kettle.
Actually ALPA opposed age 60 until the early 80's when a bunch of junior F/O's saw their carriers languishing and decide to push this as their agenda. Of course ALPA licked it's finger, put it to the wind and became adamantly supportive of the age 60 rule overnight. Their integrity reminds me of the old 7up ads, "never had it, never will". (ah, maybe it was Sprite)

Its called personal responsibility. When I was hired at Delta, I met with my financial planner shortly thereafter. I told him I wanted to plan my retirement as if the DB plan would not exist when I hit 60. If I retired and the pension was still around then that would be icing on the cake. You cannot count on the company your work for or the govt. You were just naive and now want others to pay for your mistake.
Does your financial planner offer a money back guarantee?

Many of those who lost their pensions got into the business prior to EAL going under and Lorenzo stealing the pensions at CAL (which resulted in the law being changed, ostensibly protecting pensions from corporate raiders).

Between EAL going under (not just a case of having pensions stripped) and the post-9/11 bankruptcies who lost their pensions without their company going belly up?

800dog may have had the foresight to know his pensions could be 1113'd but 99% of those working for the legacies had no reason to be concerned about their jobs or the security of their pensions.

Given the circumstances, 800dog's actions, while admirable, are akin to having a car but taking a cab everywhere because you never know when your car is going to crap out and leave you stranded...;) TC

Latest resources

Back