• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Says It Will Take Action on Flight and Duty Time Limitations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If Babbitt had fought for this as ALPA pres when the issue came up in the '90's, he wouldn't have to address it now.

He did fight for it. Unfortunately, the ATA fought harder. It's real hard to change status quo in Government Regulations, especially, when you are trying to shift the cost burden to Companies who can claim financial hardship! The airlines were still recovering from the economic slump caused by Desert Storm.

Changes in those regulations will decrease flying jobs. And, remembering the debate, the ATA argued that pilots would not rest more if they were given the time to rest. They are probably right.

Changes in those regulations will decrease flying jobs. And, remembering the debate, the ATA argued that pilots would not rest more if they were given the time to rest. They are probably right.

Fair point.
Nearly every pilot I've talked to that commutes says they want to go to work, get their time in and go home. More rest may end up being fewer days off.

In the Senate hearing back on the 10th they discussed pay. I guess that now has been overlooked. More rest, less time off for us, and with theincrease of rest (non-payed), more poor paying trips. This sucks!

Maybe one of you with media contacts should tell them about the fracs. How about: "At the fractionals, you know, where rich people fly. They have a max duty day of 14 hours with 10 hours of rest, not reduceable. Gee, why do rich people get a higher standard of safety than the people who watch your news show?" A little class envy might just be the ticket. And the ratings w************************* at the news would eat that **** up!;)
Because the rich have lots of money. This allowed NJ to overstaff to be able to meet customers expectations. Very few airline passengers are rich people, they want the cheapest ticket. More crew rest equals more crews for the same flying equals less pay for more pilots or less flying for fewer crews. As stated above it will probably mean more time on the road with less flying. In the end the consumer will dictate which airlines survive and it will be the one with th cheap tickets.

Best be careful what we wish for folks. The Colgan accident had nothing to do with the rest and duty rules, as they are written.

The form of new regulation, if it were to actually address the issues brought to light by Colgan, would involve harder checkrides, stripping unions of the power to advocate for pilots after a bust, even though the union was not on property to defend this guy, and a high level of regulation regarding what and where we are allowed to be during rest. As far as the rest regulations, the precedent exists with the 8 hour beer rule, intruding into our non-duty lives.

I can easily imagine the industry associations getting behind such measures, because the bottom line would not be affected. Commuting would become illegal within a defined window. Pilots would continue to do so, but a blown tire investigation could easily put a commuter's certificate at risk.

As far as the pay issues; yeah, right. Raises for us all!!!

Last edited:
Best be careful what we wish for folks. The Colgan accident had nothing to do with the rest and duty rules, as they are written.

The form of new regulation, if it were to actually address the issues brought to light by Colgan, would involve harder checkrides, stripping unions of the power to advocate for pilots after a bust, even though the union was not on property to defend this guy, and a high level of regulation regarding what and where we are allowed to be during rest. As far as the rest regulations, the precedent exists with the 8 hour beer rule, intruding into our non-duty lives.

I can easily imagine the industry associations getting behind such measures, because the bottom line would not be affected. Commuting would become illegal within a defined window. Pilots would continue to do so, but a blown tire investigation could easily put a commuter's certificate at risk.

Nice touch of airline reality 101, unusual to see on FI

What does the union have to do with a check ride bust? You screw up in the sim, you bust, there's nothing the union can do to change that.

The "Union" you refer to you can thank them for many safety related items. The FAA did not come up with these ideas. The Union: ALPA.

What does the union have to do with a check ride bust? You screw up in the sim, you bust, there's nothing the union can do to change that.

The "Union" you refer to you can thank them for many safety related items. The FAA did not come up with these ideas. The Union: ALPA.

My post is not a slam on the union. My point is the Union's ability to defend a pilot after a bust will most likely be curtailed. To me, this is a bad thing; part of the 'be careful what you wish for' thing.

Read the post before you jump my junk!!!

Latest resources

Back