• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Says It Will Take Action on Flight and Duty Time Limitations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If Babbitt had fought for this as ALPA pres when the issue came up in the '90's, he wouldn't have to address it now.

He's in a much better position to get it done now after having infiltrated the FAA...guerrilla warfare if you will.

Ball's in his court...

The doom and gloom about everyone getting 10 days off etc is bs. Mainline carriers have been working under better rest rules for a LONG time and they still get 14/15/16 day off lines. Even Airtran has a max 12 hour duty day.

My post is not a slam on the union. My point is the Union's ability to defend a pilot after a bust will most likely be curtailed. To me, this is a bad thing; part of the 'be careful what you wish for' thing.

There should be no defending of the pilot after a bust. The role of the union in that case should simply be to ensure the pilot is treated fairly. Beyond that, if a pilot cannot pass a check ride, he/she should be gone. I am tired of the union protecting weak pilots who shoud be on the street.

There should be no defending of the pilot after a bust. The role of the union in that case should simply be to ensure the pilot is treated fairly. Beyond that, if a pilot cannot pass a check ride, he/she should be gone. I am tired of the union protecting weak pilots who shoud be on the street.

It is frustrating the amount of time the "problem" pilots take up, isn't it?.

Then you have never had a checkride 'bust' where the check airman insisted your answers were wrong, when in your answers were correct. But under this possible new scenario, your career is done due to the incompetence of the check airman (pm me and I'll tell you about not 1 but 3 times this has happened to me personally. And no, I'm not whining, just stating facts). In the first case, the FAA actually saved my bacon, the second I lost, and the third the union did their job.

Peace.

Rekks

PS: That check airman on the third time was let go from the training department 1 month later after he struck a captain in the head during a checkride. No sh$t!

Because the rich have lots of money. This allowed NJ to overstaff to be able to meet customers expectations. Very few airline passengers are rich people, they want the cheapest ticket. More crew rest equals more crews for the same flying equals less pay for more pilots or less flying for fewer crews. As stated above it will probably mean more time on the road with less flying. In the end the consumer will dictate which airlines survive and it will be the one with th cheap tickets.
I think the MORE pilots per plane required ... the more pilots needed for every operation ...

the greater the demand for qualified pilots ... the greater the pay and benefits will be! as pilots become a relatively more scarce commodity. So much for the Demand side of the equation.

Another idea is increase the hassle and difficulty of obtaining pilot certificates more like Europe. Fewer people will persevere and this will control the supply side of the equation to greater pilot pay, benefits, and work rules.

Latest resources

Back