Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Rest Rules: Impact on COMMUTING (doc pgs 89-92, 25)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yet transportation local in nature is considered part of the rest period on an overnight...

Read carefully, with the new rule rest does not begin until you are in the hotel , 'behind the door'. Transportation time may not be duty, but it is not rest either.

(d) No certificate holder may schedule and no flightcrew member may accept
an assignment for reserve or a flight duty period unless the flightcrew member is given a rest period of at least 9 consecutive hours before beginning the reserve or flight duty period measured from the time the flightcrew member reaches the hotel or other suitable accommodation.

Sinkrate, that portion of the document is not part of the proposed rule. It's just a discussion of the thoughts that went into the development of the NPRM. It has no affect on the law or regulations. The only part that will become regulation is the actual proposed language at the end of the document.

If there is a question of interpretation the Courts will use this document. If the intent of this document is clear the Courts will use it. That is exactly how we ended up with most of 'interpretations' of the current rule that came to be in 1988. You should have access to the lawyers at ALPA that will verify this.

ALPA is still doing a full analysis on the NPRM, so if they have issues with the commuting language, I'm sure it will be part of Captain Prater's testimony this week to congress. You may be right about how that would be handled by the courts. I haven't talked to any lawyers about it.

care to rationalize why you should be paid more than someone who lives in domicile to show up to work ready for work?

I am tired of baby sitting the cross country commuters who are "tired" when we start and usually say something like "yeah man, I just came in from a 5 hour commute, I'm beat, watch me would ya?" WTFO.

That's called CRM, genius. I just came back from 4-weeks off. One of the statements to my FO was, "Hey I may be rusty for the first hr of flight, just a head-up." Would you rather be left in the dark?

I'll be you're real fun to fly a 4-day with. :rolleyes:

No it's not.

In the NPRM, commuting LOCAL in nature is NOT considered part of rest.

Rest will begin once you are BEHIND the door at the hotel, and will END when you report in the lobby to head to the airport.

With a minimum rest period of 9 hours (reduceable only if YOU agree to reduce it) behind the door, this makes most overnights much closer to 10 hours compared to how we do it now.

Lots of stuff in there might work in our favor... be interesting to see how it shakes down in the end.

My mistake, I haven't gotten through the whole thing yet.

So how many here want to fly with crew member that commuted as irresponsible as the FO from the Buffalo accident, or have your family onboard on one of those flights?

That's called CRM, genius. I just came back from 4-weeks off. One of the statements to my FO was, "Hey I may be rusty for the first hr of flight, just a head-up." Would you rather be left in the dark?

§ 117.5 Fitness for duty.

(a) Each flightcrew member must report for any flight duty period rested and prepared to perform his or her assigned duties.

(b) No certificate holder may assign and no flightcrew member may accept assignment to a flight duty period if the flightcrew member has reported for a flight duty period too fatigued to safely perform his or her assigned duties or if the certificate holder believes that the flightcrew member is too fatigued to safely perform his or her assigned duties.

(c) No certificate holder may permit a flightcrew member to continue a flight duty period if the flightcrew member has reported himself too fatigued to continue the assigned flight duty period.

(d) Any person who suspects a flightcrew member of being too fatigued to perform his or her duties during flight must immediately report that information to the certificate holder.

(e) Once notified of possible flightcrew member fatigue, the certificate holder must evaluate the flightcrew member for fitness for duty. The evaluation must be conducted by a person trained in accordance with § 117.11 and must be completed before the flightcrew member begins or continues an FDP.

(f) As part of the dispatch or flight release, as applicable, each flightcrew member must affirmatively state he or she is fit for duty prior to commencing flight.

(g) Each certificate holder must develop and implement an internal evaluation and audit program approved by the Administrator that will monitor whether flightcrew members are reporting for FDPs fit for duty and correct any deficiencies.

Last edited:
What is a pilot wakes up at 5am to commute to work and is duty day takes him to 11pm or so. A pretty long day and I have done it many times. What is a pilot wakes up at 5am to deal with his infant child and works the same long day. What is a pilot is up all night with a sick child. What is a pilot gets up at 5am to go for a run because that is what he was doing for 20 years in the service. What if... What if... What if...
They worry about guys commuting but they dont seem to have a problem with some of the schedule and rest acitivites that have been going on for decades. I have never been as tired in my life as I am at times working as a pilot. It is an unfortunate part of the lifestyle. Just sleeping in different beds every night disrupts rest. Newflash: Fatigue didnt cause that Colgan plane to crash. Bad piloting did. If fatigue caused crashes then planes would drop out of the sky everyday because A LOT of pilots are tired for LOTS of reasons. However, pilots are supposed to be professionals and there are responsible ways to commute to work. Commuting across the country on a redeye probably isnt the best course of action

Latest resources

Back