Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Rest Rules: FATIGUE: Impact of Requiring Pilot to Sign RELEASE to Indicate Rested

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Both pilots at one airline currently have to sign a release at the start of a trip which, by doing so, asserts that they are fully qualified and medically ok to fly. This new rule will not change that. You already are not allowed to fly fatigued.

DAL has the PIC sign this sort of release how. It is printed right on the flight release. Not sure if one can judge the way they will fell 10-14 hr down the road.
Good point!

Since decision making (and short term memory) are the first cognitive defects noted in fatigued pilots, the tired pilot is less likely to pick the path which results in several telephone calls and a CPO visit. Most press on ... .

please please please tell me your joking

Not at all. It has a few warts, like allowing 10 hours of block during certain times of day, but overall, it's pretty damned good.

Do you have any constructive criticism of the NPRM, or are you just being a typical flightinfo malcontent with plenty of complaints, but no solutions?

"is fit for duty prior to commencing flight"

My guess is that this won't hold up legally if a fatigue-related crash occurs. The wording says "prior to." This signing is just a snapshot in time. It doesn't require you to certify that you won't be fatiged one minute after signing it.

Regardless, it's mind-numbing B.S.

Besides... how do you define "fatigued?" How do you prove it?

Besides... how do you define "fatigued?" How do you prove it?

The NPRM actually requires the operator to have available trained evaluators who can decide if you're fatigued or not.

Just wait.. this is going to get dicey, along the lines of alcohol/drugs. Have a few fatigue calls or whatever and the feds are gonna want you entered into a "program". Y'all think I'm joking but I can see this coming..

Latest resources

Back