• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Proposes to Raise Airline Pilot Qualification Standards

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What are the current regulations on the books as it is now... dont you have to have 1500/ATP by 2013? Isnt this a done deal already?

I don't agree with any exceptions to the new proposal. That goes for both university puppy mills and military flyers. An ATP and 1500 hours is not an unreasonable requirement regardless of background.
I do. You gonna tell an F-15 jockey he has to go rent a Seminole for 500 hours because he doesn't have enough time to fly an RJ?

I dont think we should start a pissin contest of mil vs. civilian, but I do think 1500 isn't that hard to get an ATP and should be the standard...Yes the fighter guys will have a harder time and I agree with the exception for the amount of training involved just to be qualed in a military jet...But I do NOT agree with the aviation university exception, no reason you are "that much better" by reading about it in class, the only way to get the experience is through training and flying...

I dont think we should start a pissin contest of mil vs. civilian, but I do think 1500 isn't that hard to get an ATP and should be the standard...Yes the fighter guys will have a harder time and I agree with the exception for the amount of training involved just to be qualed in a military jet...But I do NOT agree with the aviation university exception, no reason you are "that much better" by reading about it in class, the only way to get the experience is through training and flying...
Bingo. My understanding is the military guys don't leave with all that much flight time, but it's hard to argue managing a fighter / attack jet or transport doesn't qualify you for an airline job.

I'm not ex-military, but I've seen some of the stuff a few Navy T-34 guys were going over during a ground session in an FBO. I was impressed by how in-depth the systems knowledge required of them was.

I do. You gonna tell an F-15 jockey he has to go rent a Seminole for 500 hours because he doesn't have enough time to fly an RJ?

Not reading this whole thread- but I disagree- hardly any f-15 guys applying to airlines have less than that-
And still- I've always thought the exemptions they get from major airline competitive mins were crap- the low time f-teen drivers are some of the worst airline pilots we got
-
And most will admit that once they upgrade and have to fly with them-

They aren't good in crews and are doing a completely different type of flying-
The competitive min should be 1000tpic in a crew environment-
JMO

Not reading this whole thread- but I disagree- hardly any f-15 guys applying to airlines have less than that-
And still- I've always thought the exemptions they get from major airline competitive mins were crap- the low time f-teen drivers are some of the worst airline pilots we got
-
And most will admit that once they upgrade and have to fly with them-

They aren't good in crews and are doing a completely different type of flying-
The competitive min should be 1000tpic in a crew environment-
JMO

:confused: That's strange. Some of the best airline pilots I've ever flown with started flying fighters. Maybe your airline needs to work on their hiring criteria - sounds like you get some pretty big tools out of the RJ world too.

Blanket statements usually don't help you make your point very well.

Yeah- I agree, and we don't need to do this tired debate again- but stereotypes exists for a reason.
The difference is that civilian pilots know we have our tools- military guys wrap themselves in the flag and make all kinds of aggressive excuses for the stick up some of these guys arses.
I do find that funny when FedEx has such a discrepancy between civilian and military hires.
None of which has anything to do with being "qualified" for a major airline job, which was my point. Saying a pilot has potential, has nothing to do with being qualified. I have no doubt the fighter pilot is able to pass training and be a good pilot at a major-but I could have passed training at a major airline with no issues at one quarter of the experience that was required.
I doubt I will ever agree with the 1500 hour fighter pilot getting on with a major, or any lesser qualifications for military pilots.
But feel free to make your case- I also know I won't change this hookup reality- but military guys would have more credibility if y'all would police your own. Bc it really does make the good, cool mil guys look really bad-
Don't believe me, ask your peers.

:confused: That's strange. Some of the best airline pilots I've ever flown with started flying fighters. Maybe your airline needs to work on their hiring criteria - sounds like you get some pretty big tools out of the RJ world too.

Blanket statements usually don't help you make your point very well.

..and some of the worst. I have seen a few ex fighter types that are very weak airline pilots. Before you get all wrapped around the axel, my statement is just to support your comment that stereotypes are wrong. Very good pilots come from any number of backgrounds, it's the attitude they bring to the table that determines how good of an airline pilot they will be, not what they flew.

..and some of the worst. I have seen a few ex fighter types that are very weak airline pilots. Before you get all wrapped around the axel, my statement is just to support your comment that stereotypes are wrong. Very good pilots come from any number of backgrounds, it's the attitude they bring to the table that determines how good of an airline pilot they will be, not what they flew.

I have seen some old men that are bitter and should not be flying an airliner.

Before you get wrapped around an axle, I am just saying poeple should not stereotype.

Fixed as I was wrong, Dan is not the one that goes crying to the moderator about my posts.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back