• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Proposes to Raise Airline Pilot Qualification Standards

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is one of the puzzle pieces that needs to fall into place for our profession to start making gains again.

Reducing supply of pilots by raising barriers to entry, increasing demand for pilots through the new flight and duty time regs, the upcoming retirements. All of these things fall on the right side of the equation to make pilots have more strength in negotiating.

As the contracts improve, there will be a better reward for the pilots who do put in the effort to get their 1000 or 1500 hours and ATP.

I expect the airlines to start applying for all kinds of waivers to these two new regs, if the FAA and DOT hold the line and the unions negotiating contracts realize that they are in a stronger position because of it, we could finally start to see some gains for a change after a losing decade for our profession.
What he said... ^^^^^^

With the low starting wage combined with the high bar of entry (taking 3-5 years again of instructing AFTER college to get 1,000 hours total time), people will avoid the profession (unless they just love to fly).

It will take YEARS for the regionals to see any effects, and the Legacies/Majors probably won't see much impact at all (too many RJ drivers out there giving supply for decades), but it's a step in the right direction.

The new rest and duty rules were meant to address fatigue (and the extra hour protected "behind the door" is the only real benefit for those who were interested in safety, and not the money for flying more during the day). The back-side-of-the-clock duty limit helps, as well, but not much help on flip-flopping circadian rhythm.

Rest and duty problems are where they should have focused their energy...

I expect the airlines to start applying for all kinds of waivers to these two new regs.......

Doubt it. The only companies that might try to fight this or that this will affect will be regionals. I think they'll be swimming upstream because they're exactly who this rule is targeting. These days, major airline/cargo companies hardly ever hire anyone who can't already get an ATP.

Whats to say airlines wont ask for scope relaxations since there is no more talent to fly the RJs. Food for thought

Whats to say airlines wont ask for scope relaxations since there is no more talent to fly the RJs. Food for thought

Hey I'm all for that. If there's no one to fly them, then they become a "mainline" airframe. Like it should've been from the start.

Not for a while yet... still a lot of pilots out there in the pipeline that meet the minimums.

It'll take the age-65 retirements kicking in for a few years to trigger movement in the Regionals and a few years of Regional hiring to dry up the pool of people that are qualified under the new rules. Best guess, 5-7 years before they have a hard time hiring at the Regional level, and THEN they'll have to lobby for it.

CAPA / ALPA contributions will be VERY important at that point to continue lobbying to keep the rules solidly in place.

Not for a while yet... still a lot of pilots out there in the pipeline that meet the minimums.

It'll take the age-65 retirements kicking in for a few years to trigger movement in the Regionals and a few years of Regional hiring to dry up the pool of people that are qualified under the new rules. Best guess, 5-7 years before they have a hard time hiring at the Regional level, and THEN they'll have to lobby for it.

CAPA / ALPA contributions will be VERY important at that point to continue lobbying to keep the rules solidly in place.

Agree. Lets hope RALPO, I mean ALPO doesn't screw the pooch on this one.

Has anyone ever noticed how the AMA controls the pipeline for new doctors? How much do you think docs would make if there were 50% more of them?

Agree. Lets hope RALPO, I mean ALPO doesn't screw the pooch on this one.

Has anyone ever noticed how the AMA controls the pipeline for new doctors? How much do you think docs would make if there were 50% more of them?

I have. You are absolutely right. Without the supply constraints on new medical students, doctors would not make anywhere near the amount of money they make today.

For this level of demand, we would need a lot higher minimums than a college degree, 1000 hours, and an ATP. I think most pilots get there first airline job with at least 1000 hours. I was lucky to get my first gig with 1600 TT and 200 multi which was considered low-time at my regional.

So, unless my situation was abnormal, which I do not think it is, this regulation will not have much effect on our pricing power. It is a step in the right direction for once though!

Last edited:
I don't agree with any exceptions to the new proposal. That goes for both university puppy mills and military flyers. An ATP and 1500 hours is not an unreasonable requirement regardless of background.

Latest resources

Back