Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA needs to hear that more than 8 hours flying per day will not make the skys safer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

coogebeachhotel

I do not believe that more than 8 hours of flying will make aviation safer. If a 8 hour day turns into a 9 hour day and one more leg gets added this reg is BS. I think there should be no more than 5 legs a day and no more than 12 hours duty. These people have no idea the amount of stress the legs combined with duty time puts on the body.

Leave flight time where it is at 8hrs
Reduced duty day for two man cockpit to 12 hrs
Max T/0 and Landings 5
No flight legs going into redye or after redeye
No red eye will end past 9am crew base local time with two man crew

I do not believe that more than 8 hours of flying will make aviation safer. If a 8 hour day turns into a 9 hour day and one more leg gets added this reg is BS. I think there should be no more than 5 legs a day and no more than 12 hours duty. These people have no idea the amount of stress the legs combined with duty time puts on the body.

Max T/0 and Landings 5

How about first simply standardizing Domestic/Flag/Supplemental rules?

Maybe then the changes will make sense. The body clock and fatigue factors don't change simply because you cross a border or fly charter.

Skipper

It's not whats a right thing to do is what the big corporate america wants those senators in thier back pockets to say.

Wouldn't it be safer to have an 8 hour duty day with 6 hours of flying per day? That would be safer.....wouldn't it?

Max T/0 and Landings 5

Yeah good luck with that. How about we all get paid 500 bucks an hour while we're dreaming? Have you ever flown under the CAA rules or any other rule other than the FAA rules that you're so used to? 16 hours of duty, 8 hours of flying, unlimited take offs and landings and min rest of 8 hours??????????? Who gives a sh!t about the flight time? It's all about the duty time.... you get more tired sitting around for 3 hours waiting for your next flight rather than flying the whole time as long as the duty time matches the your start time for the day.

Under the CAA rules, and I'm a little fuzzy about it, but the basic jest of it is that if you start before 6 am then you can only be on duty for 9 hours. They don't care if you fly 8:59 minutes just as long as you're on the ground at 9 hours of duty and that's only with 2 legs allowed. After 6 am and before 9 am you're alotted 11 or 12 hours or so of duty and 4 sectors and after 9 am you get 13 hours of duty... again... I'm a bit fuzzy, been too long, but it worked freaking great. Either way, it would be a good thing, you just have to get used to it. Oh yeah... there is one little thing with the CAA... captains discretions of 3 hours and that's just to bring the plane back to base, but with CRM, it's a crew thingie.... hope this helps a bit. Change isn't always a bad thing.... I'm sure that the airlines will find the loop holes and do what they want in the end....

Net

+1 flight time does not make me tired- duty day does- rest time inconsistency does- and if I get paid for being in the air- you bet I want to maximize my pay per day- that equals more days off which is the biggest fatigue factor IMO.

It seems to me that ALPA is got one arm tied around their nut-sack as they can't seem to seperate protecting the commuters from making flying safer...so all of their energy is going to protecting the commuters at the expense of making any meaningful gains in safety.

Am I the only one tired of giving up stuff for commuters?

Later,

Damn it - I want my R days back!!!

Hi!

I think you are quoting the British CAA rules. There are lots of CAAs in different countries.

Here in Kenya, I am flying under the Kenya CAA Intntl rules. Duty day is 15 hours, but MINIMUM rest is 11 hours, NO reduced rest, and if you do a duty day of over 14 hours, it is 16 hours of rest. Over 10, less than 11 hours duty is 12 hours rest.

I think increasing the flight time from 8-9 or 10 hours is no big deal. Reducing the duty day, along with increasing the rest, and decreasing the duty day for more TOs/Ls, and early/late starts is what is important, and it sounds like that is what will happen.

cliff
NBO

Hi!

I think you are quoting the British CAA rules. There are lots of CAAs in different countries.

Here in Kenya, I am flying under the Kenya CAA Intntl rules. Duty day is 15 hours, but MINIMUM rest is 11 hours, NO reduced rest, and if you do a duty day of over 14 hours, it is 16 hours of rest. Over 10, less than 11 hours duty is 12 hours rest.

I think increasing the flight time from 8-9 or 10 hours is no big deal. Reducing the duty day, along with increasing the rest, and decreasing the duty day for more TOs/Ls, and early/late starts is what is important, and it sounds like that is what will happen.

cliff
NBO

Cliff,

My apologies... yes you are correct sir.... I was quoting.... eeerr.... half a s s quoting the "British CAA" rules. Too lazy to google it and put the actual flight time/DUTY time limitations on here, but I think we're all on the same page. Bottom line is that flight time means nothing... duty time is the most important, along with number of landings depending of your start time.

Net

Latest resources

Back