Faa Lear 35 Fly-by

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aero99 said:
Could have been. I also thought the FAA used King Airs for shooting approaches, but again, just the rumor mill around the hanger.

It was probably Ross Perot. :)

I saw a FAA lear doing ILS approaches at the Livermore,ca airport last week. Don't know if it was a 35 or 55 (not up on my models). It had the government light blue paint and I confirmed that it was FAA by listening to the tower and checking the "N" number on avweb.

speeding

Dep - understand your position, but I see them all the time in Utah speeding in civilian clothes, with the family in the squad car (almost every department here allows them to take the vehicle home). Hard to believe they are on a call with the kids in the back seat and a t shirt on...

Does anyone know what the Govt's Gulfstream does "N1" I was out at TRI recently when the ILSs were down, there was a FAA kingair there as well as the Gulfstream doing touch and gos...Posisbly N1 does the Cat II and IIIs???

Last edited:
N1 is not a flight inspection airplane. It's one of a sizable fleet of FAA jets based at DCA. Their stated purpose is to transport the NTSB "go-team" to major accidents, provide for aviation research, and provide flight training for certain FAA Inspectors. In truth, all of them, and N1 in particular, are executive transports for high-ranking DOT and FAA bureaucrats. N1 is used extensively for boondoggles all over the world.

Last week a lear 35 did a fly by down the runway, 50ft off the deck at the airport I office at.

It's funny you mention this. I was at Valkaria airport (X59) on sunday afternoon and saw a Pan Am Academy Piper Warrior (?) do the very same thing about 3-4 times mixed in with a bunch of TNG's They would zoom by at 10-20' AGL flat out until the very end of the runway where they'd abruptly pull up to about a 70 degree nose up attitude.

They stopped after the first few and parked on the ramp where 3 instructors (in their uniforms) got out and walked around a bit. They climbed back in, and did a few more fly-bys before the finally left.

I don't know how smart it was, but it sure looked like fun!

-Paul

It's not smart and it's a good way to earn some enforcement action. Three instructors, especially young new ones, in the same airplane is seldom a good thing, either.

I was mistaken with the LR55's before. I believe they're 60's, but still very different from a 35. Did it have tip tanks?

Seems like the instructors would have gotten bored withit after the first two. How exciting is that?

Orville and Caveman,

Yeah I see your points too. We all know that the LA cops have been not having the best reputation lately. I would never be a cop out there anyway. As far as taking the cruiser home. Our dep's get to take them home on the days they work too. But they never use them for personal use. That would cost them their job. I am not talking about a knuckle head that uses to shuttle is family around. That totally wrong and would never fly around here. As far as speeding in their personal cars cause they can. That happens here also. But one of my Sgt's were coming back from DC for the police memorial in a cruiser. Got pulled over for speeding in PA and got a ticket in a cruiser. So that always doesn't work they will find out the hard way. I am wasn't bashing you either. I was trying to shed a little insight to their driving for a legit reason. And yes there are abusers of power in every occupation. Just look at our government, full of abusers of power just because who they are.

Avbug.

The FAA does utilize 35's. I saw two parked in OKC last week.

White Blue and with Tip tanks. LOL

I'll get the tail numbers next time I see them.

lj 55 and 60 look similar with the fatter fuselage and winglets with no tiptanks. the 35 looks more like a streetched 23-24-25 model.

Latest resources

Back