• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA issues final rule on SIC type rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Same checkride in respect to the manuevers performed, except a type ride is an FAA checkride(more paperwork) and you must perfrom every task to standards on the first attempt.

The type ride has more "manuevers" than the SIC check. At least that is the case where I do my SIC recurrent.

SIC check:

Normal t/o
Stall series
Unusual attitudes
Non-precision approach
V1 cut
SE ILS (coupled or hand flown)

Type check:

Normal t/o
Aborted t/o
Steep turns
Stall series
Unusual attitudes
2 Non-precision approaches (1 full procedure, 1 circling)
Balked landing
Engine failure and re-light
V1 cut
Hold
2 precision approaches (1 single engine, 1 coupled)
Visual no flap

Rick1128 said:
Actually, that is not entirely correct. According to the FAA's Order 8400.10 SIC's are not required to perform holding and they only have to perform 1 percession and one non-precesion approach. A single engine approach is not required, though a single engine landing is. Also there is no V1 cut requirement, but the SIC must successfully conduct an engine failure after takeoff.

Next, the 8400 allows a Company Check Airman to retest failed items for either crew position.

Now from your profile it appears that you are flying for a regional airline. You company policies may differ. The 8400 allows the operator to set their own standards as long as they meet or exceed the standards in Order 8400.10.

I stand corrected, I was just speaking from my own personal experience. Thanks for the info.

Latest resources

Back