FAA dispatcher course -- good schools -- distance learning

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

Can anyone suggest a good school for training for the FAA dispatcher certificate. Preferably one that offers distance learning.

Sheffield is the only one that seems to come up on the internet.

You have to basically be working as a dispatcher already in order to qualify for the distance course. The FAA has set strict restrictions on who can teach and who can attend the distance thingees.

I don't know what you are up with 1600 hrs of flying time but just go there for two weeks if you really want it, you have your commercial pilot certificate. Also, get your written out of the way before you get there.

deleted...........

Last edited:
You have to basically be working as a dispatcher already in order to qualify for the distance course. The FAA has set strict restrictions on who can teach and who can attend the distance thingees.

props,

Not to be rude as this is my first post on this board, but that is not entirely true. There are restrictions, but prior experience isn't one of them. I have ZERO experience and will be beginning Sheffield's Distance Learning course next month.

As RJAA stated, make sure to get the written over with about a month prior to attending the residency portion.

AGS (Airline Ground Schools) also has a distance program out of the Cinci area if I recall.

props,

Not to be rude as this is my first post on this board, but that is not entirely true. There are restrictions, but prior experience isn't one of them. I have ZERO experience and will be beginning Sheffield's Distance Learning course next month.

As RJAA stated, make sure to get the written over with about a month prior to attending the residency portion.

AGS (Airline Ground Schools) also has a distance program out of the Cinci area if I recall.

because you met the requirements of part 65...

ags

Again not to be rude to props but I did the AGS distance learning course (www.agschools.com) a year and a half ago and had no aviation experience whatsoever. Its all at your own pace and once you complete the independent study portion and the ADX written exam you attend a 1 week in class seminar. They offer these 1 week courses every other month I believe.

Some will tell you one school is better than the other and its probably true that you will learn more at Sheffield but I believe that once your work in dispatch for 3-6 monhts its all the same.

Because you have 1600 hours flying time I would recommend looking into AGS. Their ind study course consists of a private pilot written exam (which you already have so you skip that), the ATP written exam and 10 extremely easy open book 20 question quzzes. Then you go for the in class seminar when u are ready where they teach you the basics of dispatch and some applied applications and of course the manual flight plan.

I found that I spent way more time than most people in my class reading and studying the materials AGS sent to me and got a lot out of it because of how much I put into it. But people can easily get away with doing very little with that course and still pass the written and practical exam. (the owner of the school is the examiner). DX schools need an 80% practical exam pass rate to stay certified. Sounds like a conflict of interest to me.

For someone with no experience I would say Sheffield would teach you more (from what I hear) but for you, I would say consider AGS it could be cheaper and quicker and you will learn what you need to.

Just my two cents

I am a fellow AGS graduate and I would HIGHLY recommend that school. The instructors are top notch and I really enjoyed it. They even helped getting me placed at my current dispatching job. Just one thing, I did the 13 weekend course as I am local to the school.

I am a fellow AGS graduate and I would HIGHLY recommend that school. The instructors are top notch and I really enjoyed it. They even helped getting me placed at my current dispatching job. Just one thing, I did the 13 weekend course as I am local to the school.

CVG or MEM ??

Latest resources

Back