FAA clamping down?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Piloto Chido

Got my class I the other day, including my first post-40 yr old EKG (the last one I took was at 35). Towards the end of the exam, he flipped through my paperwork, EKG chart, ect. and I asked him if everything look alright- he said, "yeah, it's just that they (FAA) are on a witch-hunt nowadays and they'll look for the slightest abnormality to go after someone- so I always like to look these charts over."

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this to be the case- that they are alot more harda$$ now, than say, 5 years ago. Not to say they should give everyone a free pass, but I'm sure there are a few marathon runners who would show a slightly abnormal EKG. Are they going to get flagged?

Also, I've seen/flown with a fair share of very large, blubbery pilots- and I often wonder how THEY get through the system.

Any comments?

From what I have heard, Doc Chandler in SLC, who has helped thousands of pilot get and keep their medicals, is being strong armed out of the AME business.

Interesting point. My doc is also well known to go to bat for a pilot when necessary- he knows all the paperwork req'd. Walk into his waiting room, and you'll always see a bunch of pilots: airline, corporate, ect.

Makes you wonder if the FAA is trying to 'strong-arm' these docs.

Also, I've seen/flown with a fair share of very large, blubbery pilots- and I often wonder how THEY get through the system.

Any comments?

Me too.

If you're one of these guys, please tell us how you manage to squeeze through class I physicals. Some look like they should be packing a defibrillator in their flight case. Honestly.

Be prepared for the day when your medical records are universally linked up with your FAA/AME files as well as medical insurance companies. Think about how your driving records are shared with all insurance companies. The outright sharing of your medical records WILL come eventually.

I know for a fact plenty of pilots report things to their general practioners that they don't report to the AME du jour.

Be prepared for the day when your medical records are universally linked up with your FAA/AME files as well as medical insurance companies. Think about how your driving records are shared with all insurance companies. The outright sharing of your medical records WILL come eventually.

I know for a fact plenty of pilots report things to their general practioners that they don't report to the AME du jour.

If you have nothing to hide, no need to worry.

If you have nothing to hide, no need to worry.

That's the problem. Even those who have nothing to hide can easily get railroaded. Losing a medical is a very big deal. As easy as it is to get, it's even easier to lose it and very difficult to get it back. A road I certainly wouldn't want to have to go down. I fear that the more computers make decisions (IF-THEN), and the less human involvment or discretion allowed, will lead to contamination and misinformation.

Latest resources

Back