• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA clamping down?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's the problem. Even those who have nothing to hide can easily get railroaded. Losing a medical is a very big deal. As easy as it is to get, it's even easier to lose it and very difficult to get it back. A road I certainly wouldn't want to have to go down. I fear that the more computers make decisions (IF-THEN), and the less human involvment or discretion allowed, will lead to contamination and misinformation.

I do agree with the possibility of contamination and misinformation of medical files, especially if you are trying to load paper information into a computer as oppose to downloading medical info. off a insurance or medical provider comnputer.
The reasons behind this are many, such as not properly reporting a dui or a serious medical problem. If you go to get an exam for glasses or a filling compeleted at the dentist, who cares unless it gives you a heart attack that you forgot to report.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I know that theoretically, a universally linked up medical system could help save lives and make medical treament more effective. It's just that in practice there's always a breakdown (no system is 100% efficient - there will inevitiably be conflicting anomalies) and when it comes to sensitive personal issues like this, you can get royally screwed out of many things in life. Not just your FAA Medical. I'm talkin employment, insurance rates, credit, and a multitude of other things one must proceed cautiously with.

On my last Class 1 in October, my AME was connected directly to OKC to file the paperwork. Anything that was a question was flagged right there. In the past, it may take months for OKC to get back to you.
If you get caught not reporting, I think the penalty is much more severe than any action that could occur otherwise. i.e. criminal charges!

Latest resources

Back