• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA changes SFO Landing Policies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tell that to the guy who designed our VNAV programming. He has the plane using that very word all the damn time! On the other hand, considering some of the stuff that the VNAV programming does (or at least the version that SWA bought), no to mention the abysmally pathetic lack of effort it puts up before reverting from VNAV Path to VNAV Speed, perhaps that particular programmer does fit into your category defined above as "idiots of our society."

Jes' sayin'...

Bubba

you're talking to a guy who's one of our first A330 captains... he's VERY familiar with the word "Retard" in the cockpit, trust me.. ;)

I was always second on the crew bus or crew limo, after the CA, before the FAs. I always had good crew meals. I had 4 MELs in 2 years. 4. 4! I never ever waited for a gate or a push crew or a jetway operator.

Their culture isn't foolish. It's different, and they wouldn't make the same mistakes you and I would make.

We need checklists because we're weak at routines. They aren't. They're robots. We're cowboys. We grew up thinking the cowboys should win that movie, but it ain't necessarily so.

The airline should just buy some Cessnas and make them go fly touch and goes a few times a year. For stick and rudder. For fun.

Singapore Airlines had a couple of Lears at their Ab initio training college. They started on single recip, then multi, then the Lears and finally heavies. They just sold the last of the Lears. Theyre being replaced by Citation Mustangs.

I think they're trying, but they do not get the sort of progression of flying experience that our system provides/forces.

We have more than a few "Oriental" pilots at Hawaiian that hand fly the crap out the airplanes day in and day out, in the case of inter-island they're doing 8-10 visual approaches a day in 35Kts+ Gusts.... not to mention the 767 ops in and out of Maui... as hard as it gets for visual approaches, short runway, gusts, etc..

it's not about the genetic make up of Asians, it's the culture of those carriers and those countries... Some of the best pilots and (honestly) best CRM at HAL is the guys from Asian backgrounds..

If I were still a moderator here, that post would have been deleted..

Why? It doesn't violate any of the terms of service.

Sure, it's a joke based on a stereotype, but it's not a violation. The terms specifically say that insults are okay, and that users need a thick skin. It's a wide-ranging insult, but not really different than Dan Roman calling me a numbnuts, or me calling him a jackhole (not that either of us in particular would do such a thing, but I understand that other people do :)).

As jokes go, it's the same as making a joke about Irish people drinking too much, Italian people all being in the mafia, French people being snobs, etc. For that matter, it's like making jokes about pilots being cheap or egotistical, or about flight attendants being whiny or horny.

As far as I know, the Political Correctness Police doesn't have jurisdiction on this forum. If they did, they certainly would have shut this place down long ago for the last ten years' worth of stereotype-based insults.

Okay, it was a little tasteless, but maybe we should lighten up a little.

Bubba

Last edited:
OK here's where I am coming from. My son was born with a relatively minor disability that still required him to be in the special needs classes. He's doing great and on his own path in life. Total contrast to my daughter who is very capable and career minded, he is definitely on a much slower track in life.
So.....for obvious reasons I find the term offensive. Interesting enough, just the other day my son was relating to me a story of being called a "retard" in 3rd grade. His fellow classmates stood up for him and it stopped.

Bubba, while you never have seen me call you or anyone else a name on here, Jackhole is not the same as retard. Jackhole is someone who "chooses" to be an idiot even though they should know better, retard is someone who can't help it.
Interesting our society still puts a stigma on people with disabilities, the reality is many of them accomplish way more with what they have than some people born with no disabilities. The two sports I'm closest to, surfing and motorsports have some great examples. I've known airline pilots that don't have the wisdom, insight and people skills that my son has at 19.

And no I don't get offended while landing the Airbus!

Now for the lighter side

FWO = FLYING WHILE ORIENTAL = NO PHERIPHAL VISION = NO HAND EYE COORDINATION

DWO = DRIVING WHILE ORIENTAL = THE ABOVE ALSO

It's a wide-ranging insult, but not really different than Dan Roman calling me a numbnuts, or me calling him a jackhole (not that either of us in particular would do such a thing, but I understand that other people do :)).

Bubba

So you equate an idiot insulting multiple races to you and your boyfriend having a jackhole spat. HHMM

When's the last time someone told you to pull your head out of your ass?

So you equate an idiot insulting multiple races to you and your boyfriend having a jackhole spat. HHMM

When's the last time someone told you to pull your head out of your ass?

No, I equated an insult to an insult. Try to keep up. A stereotypical joke insulting a single person, a race of people (Orientals, Irish, etc.), or a profession of people (pilots, FAs, etc.), is equally insulting. However, in any case, it's allowed by the First Amendment in general in this country, and on this forum, by the stated Terms of Service in particular. By the way, your second paragraph demonstrates this quite nicely, you bad-driving, hard-drinking, spaghetti-loving, rude, cheap, whiny, cranial-rectal-inverted jackhole. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, and your mother wears army boots.

By the way, Dan's not my boyfriend--he's not my type. He flies Airbusses, for God's sake. Ugh.

Bubba

If I'm cheating on a written test, I'm looking at the Asian guys paper. If I want to survive an actual emergency, I want a gringo flying that plane. It's not racist to acknowledge that very real cultural differences exist and for whatever reason, many Asian cultures don't mix ideally with Aviation.

I think on some level, we all know this is true.

Hey Professor,

Any other nuggets to contribute to aviation in light of recent events.

fv

Latest resources

Back