• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA changes SFO Landing Policies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a big fan of generalisations. Huge time saver. But .... ever heard of a nice Japanese gentleman called Saburo Sakai ? I've got a feeling he wasn't the only Japanese fighter pilot that could fly. In his case, he could do it after being hit in the face with a 50 Cal. round.

http://www.acesofww2.com/japan/aces/sakai/#.UftdTMsaySM

Here's the deal..... Aisian airlines that hire asian pilots typically start them from scratch, you know, the ab initio thing. They get ramrod training (color in the lines) then may sit on a big jet for years before ever really touching the controls. Eventually they do, but have never really had any time just screwing off and making mistakes on their own. Hence, when the stuff hits the fan, no depth of experience to fall back on. It is not necessarily a race issue (although asian culture is obviously different from pure western culture), but one more of pure experience and learning. Most of us in the good old USA learn more from screwing around in GA or on the government dime in the military. It is safe to say (and I have flown for asian airlines) that a typical asian carrier flown by asian crews will have their hands full flexing to a different gameplan, as is often appropriate when flying in the good old USA.

This is pretty stupid. In fact they should require these carriers to fly along side other US planes on every visual approach inti SFO so as to have guidance... they might have known they were low and slow

Either your crews qualified or they are not. Why is it acceptable for the FAA to institute different rules for foreign carriers?

The hard reality is the FAA is admitting they aren't as qualified as US crews. Hence the different application of procedures.

If I'm cheating on a written test, I'm looking at the Asian guys paper. If I want to survive an actual emergency, I want a gringo flying that plane. It's not racist to acknowledge that very real cultural differences exist and for whatever reason, many Asian cultures don't mix ideally with Aviation.

I think on some level, we all know this is true.

AMERICA! F**ck YEAH!!

Uhhhh, no. Not on any level do "we" know this to be true.

The hard reality is the FAA is admitting they aren't as qualified as US crews. Hence the different application of procedures.

The FAA isn't speaking to their qualifications.

Qualified pilots all look the same on paper however, some pilots end up in the dirt while others end up banging the hot FA that night after a normal landing and a few cocktails.

Interesting, what ever became of the pilots toxicology reports?

There were none. The FAA pointed out early on that they did not have the authority to force them to be tested. Ironic. If you bang something up in Korea, you'd be in jail on their "authority".

AMERICA! F**ck YEAH!!

Uhhhh, no. Not on any level do "we" know this to be true.

I'd rather have my loved ones aboard an airplane flown by Americans, Canadians, or the more highly-advanced European nations any day.

The Koreans are following a path of technology worship and lack of stick skills. Anyone who spends long enough teaching international students in sims KNOWS this.

If you don't know this, it's because you've sworn an ego-oath to blank-slate equalitarianism. Some cultures don't mix with aviation very well.

...PERIOD.

Latest resources

Back