Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagle757shark

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]ATP FAA REQUIREMENT

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Sec. 61.151 Eligibility requirements: General.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must--[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](a) BE AT LEAST 23 YEARS OF AGE;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](c) Be of good moral character;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](d) Meet at least one of the following requirements:
(1) Hold at least a commercial pilot certificate and instrument rating;
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](2) Meet the military experience requirements under Sec. 61.73 of this part to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States; or[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](3) Hold either a foreign airline transport pilot or foreign commercial pilot license and an instrument rating, without limitations issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.[/FONT]

[/FONT]Everyone has been talking about 1500 hours for a ATP, everyone forgets you have to be 23 years old to acquire an ATP.

I don't think requiring 121 pilots to be at least 23 is a lot to ask. Although I sometimes wonder where FAA got 23 from. Seems that minimum age of 18 for commercial and 21 for ATP might be reasonable, as doing so falls in line with many other things in life...

One used to be able to pass the ATP checkride and get a "Letter of Demonstrated Competency" in lieu of ATP certificate if you didn't meet the age requirement. I don't think that's the case anymore..

I don't think requiring 121 pilots to be at least 23 is a lot to ask. Although I sometimes wonder where FAA got 23 from. Seems that minimum age of 18 for commercial and 21 for ATP might be reasonable, as doing so falls in line with many other things in life...

I believe the age should be 25, not 23.

There has been a scientific study that demonstrated that the specific part of the brain that accurately assesses risk is not fully developed until age 25. The military has long understood this, preferring males age 18-25 (selective service requirements) because such people feel invincible (which is very useful in combat). Auto insurance companies have hard data on this that proves that under-25 drivers have much greater numbers of accidents. Note that when you turn 25, you get a substantial cut in your premiums.

I would think that commanding a transport category aircraft should require fully developed maturity, based on actual scientific data.

I believe the age should be 25, not 23.

There has been a scientific study that demonstrated that the specific part of the brain that accurately assesses risk is not fully developed until age 25. The military has long understood this, preferring males age 18-25 (selective service requirements) because such people feel invincible (which is very useful in combat). Auto insurance companies have hard data on this that proves that under-25 drivers have much greater numbers of s. Note that when you turn 25, you get a substantial cut in your premiums.

I would think that commanding a transport category aircraft should require fully developed maturity, based on actual scientific data.

You may be right. But such requirement should then apply only to the ASSIGNED CAPTAIN of the said aircraft. Not to everyone who wants to earn an ATP certificate.

In fact, it doesn't even need to be an FAA mandate. Individual companies can have an internal rule about not assigning anyone under 25 as a captain...

You may be right. But such requirement should then apply only to the ASSIGNED CAPTAIN of the said aircraft. Not to everyone who wants to earn an ATP certificate.

In fact, it doesn't even need to be an FAA mandate. Individual companies can have an internal rule about not assigning anyone under 25 as a captain...

That would be a good rule. However, market forces always trump "good rules" (i.e. captain shortages somehow develop, and rule goes away), so it would be preferable for the FAA to mandate age 25 for captains.

By the way, are you suggesting that First Officers should not also be required to possess the highest level of maturity?

That would be a good rule. However, market forces always trump "good rules" (i.e. captain shortages somehow develop, and rule goes away), so it would be preferable for the FAA to mandate age 25 for captains.

By the way, are you suggesting that First Officers should not also be required to possess the highest level of maturity?

Of course I'm not suggesting that. However under your idea that would mean you can't even be a FO until you're 25. Why not let people earn ATP at 21 and be a 121 FO? So by the time they turn 25, they may be ready for the upgrade?

Of course I'm not suggesting that. However under your idea that would mean you can't even be a FO until you're 25. Why not let people earn ATP at 21 and be a 121 FO? So by the time they turn 25, they may be ready for the upgrade?

I was just playing devil's advocate here. I actually like your idea, it makes a lot of sense.

Are there any regional airlines that have recently hired 18 or 19 year old FOs...maybe Great Lakes? What happens to these guys when they're required to obtain an ATP within 3 years, and they won't even be 23 yet?

Latest resources

Back