• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA ATP General Requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would answer that if I wanted to start a 25 page thread.
With an answer like that, can we assume the answer to the question would be "Yes"?

If so that's fine...you're entitled to your opinion just as much as those who would disagree with you are.

I'm sure you can understand my confusion about your position...

My position:
Min age for 121 SIC: 21
Min age for 121 PIC: 25
Max age for 121 SIC/PIC: 65

I'm sure others have their opinion as well, which is fine if it's backed up by good evidence.

My position:
Min age for 121 SIC: 21
Min age for 121 PIC: 25
Max age for 121 SIC/PIC: 65

I'm sure others have their opinion as well, which is fine if it's backed up by good evidence.

Thanks for that.

Do you think that the minimum age for an ATP should be dropped to 21, but that regs be revised so that one must be at least 25 before acting as PIC in a 121 operation?

Do you think that the minimum age for an ATP should be dropped to 21, but that regs be revised so that one must be at least 25 before acting as PIC in a 121 operation?

That would be reasonable, and in fact preferable to the current 23 for PIC (and proposed 23 for SIC).

Auto insurance companies have hard data on this that proves that under-25 drivers have much greater numbers of accidents. Note that when you turn 25, you get a substantial cut in your premiums.

Rental car companies as well!

Are there any regional airlines that have recently hired 18 or 19 year old FOs...maybe Great Lakes? What happens to these guys when they're required to obtain an ATP within 3 years, and they won't even be 23 yet?

The one person I know that fell in this category is that they are not eligible to bid for captain, in this case because of his age but he could have also been ineligible because of not having the time or the written, etc. So he had to wait.

Latest resources

Back