FA job pays over 50K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717driver said:
No... An uptight person causes everyone on the crew to be on edge and that diminishes performance.
So now someone who is uptight which we now know means "doesn't find boob jokes funny" negatively impacts CRM? Funny, I always thought it was the PIC's responsiblity to do his/her best to make sure the entire crew operates safely and efficiently. I would like to think a good Captain can accomplish this whether or not the entire crew shares the same point of view and sense of humor. Interesting that the wet blanket is expected to get over herself but, nobody else is.

Generally, you have be cautious about people who are wound too tightly--their behavior is upredictable and they (in my experience) are given to exageration when reporting "bad behavior" to management. BTW, Did you work in UAL HR during the mid-90's? You seem very familiar...TC
I See the thing is....the "uptight" people never seem to find themselves called on the carpet. Why? Because if you keep the conversation clean, respectful, and professional, you've got nothing to worry about as there is no bad behavior to report regardless of how tight someone is wound.

SWAInflt said:
So now someone who is uptight which we now know means "doesn't find boob jokes funny" negatively impacts CRM? Funny, I always thought it was the PIC's responsiblity to do his/her best to make sure the entire crew operates safely and efficiently. I would like to think a good Captain can accomplish this whether or not the entire crew shares the same point of view and sense of humor. Interesting that the wet blanket is expected to get over herself but, nobody else is.

I See the thing is....the "uptight" people never seem to find themselves called on the carpet. Why? Because if you keep the conversation clean, respectful, and professional, you've got nothing to worry about as there is no bad behavior to report regardless of how tight someone is wound.

Oh good grief. As another WN f/a, I feel the need to respond to this one. I think it's fair to say that most of the people I work with here aren't nearly this uptight. Having said that, everyone needs to judge their audience before running their mouth. I've seen females AND males tell jokes here that could make just about anyone blush. If you all have a similar sense of humor, then it's no harm - no foul. But of course there's that small percentage that put their thongs on backwards that day.

For the life of me I don't get equating racism with being aware of someone of the opposite sex who is attractive. There is no comparison.

And for the record, as a male flight attendant, the women can be just as bad as the men. Hell, once I had an all female crew and I volunteered for some harassment. Everyone there found it funny.

Alright, I'm ready for retaliation.
PK

PlanetK said:
Oh good grief. As another WN f/a, I feel the need to respond to this one. I think it's fair to say that most of the people I work with here aren't nearly this uptight.
I still just can't get past the fact that standing up for a woman's right to be judged and dealt with based on her abilities not her physical appearance is characterized as "uptight". Once again, I have to ask...would someone who took offense to inappropriate remarks based on race be considered "uptight" as well.

Having said that, everyone needs to judge their audience before running their mouth. I've seen females AND males tell jokes here that could make just about anyone blush. If you all have a similar sense of humor, then it's no harm - no foul. But of course there's that small percentage that put their thongs on backwards that day.
A better solution would be to simply just keep the inappropriate jokes and comments out of the workplace and then it isn't necessary to try to judge whether or not someone will think it is funny. Is it really so much to ask that people go through their work days without remarking on each other's anatomy and telling off-color jokes?

For the life of me I don't get equating racism with being aware of someone of the opposite sex who is attractive. There is no comparison.
There is a comparison. In both cases a person is being reduced to the sum total of their outer appearance. Being aware of someone's attractiveness is one thing...saying they are not qualified to do a job based on that assessment is another. At one point someone said that a certain level of clientel prefers attractive Flight Attendants. Nobody seems to have a problem with that. My guess is that if the statement was that the clients preferred caucasian Flight Attendants everyone's reaction would be different...at least I hope so.

And for the record, as a male flight attendant, the women can be just as bad as the men. Hell, once I had an all female crew and I volunteered for some harassment. Everyone there found it funny.
Alright, I'm ready for retaliation.
PK
No retaliation, we can agree to disagree in a civil manner.

SWAInflt said:
A better solution would be to simply just keep the inappropriate jokes and comments out of the workplace and then it isn't necessary to try to judge whether or not someone will think it is funny.

This isn't the workplace. This is flightinfo. We are free to do things here we normally wouldn't do at work. For some it's a release, for others it's just a form of humor.

I respect your view but lighten up already.

SWAInflt said:
I still just can't get past the fact that standing up for a woman's right to be judged and dealt with based on her abilities not her physical appearance is characterized as "uptight".

Where in the original post that started this thread did anyone say they were judging anyone solely by their appearance? Where did it say they were looking for women? You are obviously the type that jumps down anyone's throat the moment they cross what you perceive as a politically correct line. You must be a hoot to fly with. This kind of stuff just won't ever fly in the corporate world. Please stay at SWA.

Ace

Ace-of-the-Base said:
Where in the original post that started this thread did anyone say they were judging anyone solely by their appearance?
It was never the original post that I took issue with...it was the replies.

Where did it say they were looking for women?
Again, my quarrel is not with the orignal post but, rather the replies that quickly followed the essence of which were....'unattractive, flat chested women, need not apply'

You are obviously the type that jumps down anyone's throat the moment they cross what you perceive as a politically correct line.
Maybe I am, maybe I am not. That isn't the point. The point is, in no less than 5 replies the conversation had devolved into a discussion of cup sizes.
Sometimes political correctness is not such a bad thing if it improves the way a person is treated.

You must be a hoot to fly with.
I don't remember seeing 'fun to fly with' in the job description either. As long as I am polite and respectful to my fellow crew and take excellent care of my customers...what difference does it make if I take offense to breast humor?

This kind of stuff just won't ever fly in the corporate world. Please stay at SWA.
I'll make you a deal. I'll let you make your career decisions and you let me make my career decisions. Fair enough?

Last edited:
English said:
This isn't the workplace. This is flightinfo. We are free to do things here we normally wouldn't do at work. For some it's a release, for others it's just a form of humor.

I respect your view but lighten up already.

This is Flightinfo....but it is also the Flight Attendant section of Flightinfo. Is it really a surprise that a Flight Attendant might not see the humor in some of the comments that started this thread.

SWAInflt said:
This is Flightinfo....but it is also the Flight Attendant section of Flightinfo. Is it really a surprise that a Flight Attendant might not see the humor in some of the comments that started this thread.

This might be a flight attendant section of FlightInfo, but this thread is about being a flight attendant on a corporate aircraft.

Being 'polite and respectful of your fellow crew and taking good care of your customers' is all fine and well, but it may not be enough in the corporate side of aviation. For better or for worse, you're going to need to fit in with the flight department as well.

bigD said:
This might be a flight attendant section of FlightInfo, but this thread is about being a flight attendant on a corporate aircraft.

Being 'polite and respectful of your fellow crew and taking good care of your customers' is all fine and well, but it may not be enough in the corporate side of aviation. For better or for worse, you're going to need to fit in with the flight department as well.
If that is the case, then an accurate, specific description of the desirable candidate is in order. It is of interest that it has been repeatedly pointed out that in the "corporate" world a different standard applies. I wonder what would happen if a hiring manager applied that same standard to selecting an Administrative Assistant for someone in the corporate world? You know..."We're very impressed with your resume Ms. Smith but, we are really looking for someone much more attractive for the position. Thanks for coming in." How long do you think it would take the EEOC to show up on the doorstep? Not long.

Latest resources

Back