• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F D X v. S W A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another consideration in terms of QOL is the average trip length at each company. At SWA we do a lot of three day trips with a smaller percentage of four days and some two days and turns. I get the impression that at FDX the trips tend to be longer. If you have a wife and kids I think shorter trips are a little easier on the family. More short trips a month make for a harder commuter life, but if you live in a base life is really good.

for married people::2 nights away keeps the divorce attorney away........ 7 days away youll have he__ __ !! to pay

No one has mentioned this

One thing that was not mentioned is the possibility of cargo drones a few decades from now. I know I sound really foolish bringing this up, but this should be something on one's radar screen long before it could happen.

If I were a visionary and a union leader for UPS or FDX, I'd treat it like cancer. I would address the issue in its infancy and remove the threat long before it spread and had the potential to kill me!

I don't think for the Pax carriers this should be a concern, but for freight it does cross my mind.

I hope I am WRONG about all of this, but one must have foresight and vision to stop this from happening!! NOW is the time to do that, not when it is knocking on the door. As they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!

To the origional poster, I'd go with FDX but I think you won't go wrong by any means at SWA. If I lived in base however, I'd go with SWA.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

Last edited:
K-Mart said:
If a country, say China, decides to nationalize it's business, then guess what? There goes the cargo contract. Short of being a truck driver for UPS, cargo may not be a safe bet. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Can you explain what you mean when you say China decides to nationalize its business? Do you mean they will only allow Chinese planes and pilots to fly into and out of their country? I guess I can understand if you say China will nationalize its business and have Chinese pilots fly point to point within China, but thats pretty much what all countries (including the US) do now. Its called cabotage. As far as international is concerned, how many countries do you think would sit back and say "I guess its ok that we can no longer fly our planes to your country, but you can fly your planes to ours." No country would ever agree to that.

Besides, its pretty much a non-issue since China can't even find enough of its own people to fly their airplanes. They are having to hire guys from other countries to come in at three times the Chinese pilot's normal salary just to fly their airplanes. In addition, the forecast is for them to have an even greater shortage of pilots in the future. How can you "nationalize" your airline if you can't even find the warm bodies to fill the cockpit seats?

If you don't mind flying the same aircraft for the rest of your career to many of the same cities over and over again (albeit during the day and with attractive shorts-wearing stews), choose Southwest.

How have we gotten this far without someone suggesting that SWA is going to start flying cargo and put FDX out of business. Heck, someone already suggested drones, this is less crazy than that.

Please, Herb, no, please!

Purpled said:
Ok, I'll bite. What gives here? I'm sure you can't be referring to the Stews.

You see there are these things called "room parties", where crews go after the bar closes, drink "herb's booze", and...

... use your imagination.

... now double the rauciousness that you were imagining.

Kid Rock ain't seen nothing like a weekend PM at the Main Sail.

Last edited:
Which is why Tampa will be the next base, need to kill the good parties. Before my time but I heard that BWI, MDW, and MCO were all great overnights before they became bases. The overnight party destroying method rules out BNA and LAS as future bases, MCI seems to have gotten more fun at the new hotel.

firstthird said:
Short version. Cargo has a good thing with the Fedex/UPS duality that may not last forever. SWA has survived and thrived in one of the most capital killing industries ever invented by man (knock on wood, so far).

Excellent point. Which one were you recommending again???

Had this problem in 2002. Chose FedEx and am happy with it. I'll be gone 9 days this month. The nights aren't easy for me since i'm not a good day sleeper but i choose nights because it's more efficient for pay and more days off. There are so many niches at FedEx that there are many lines that will be great for almost anyone with a little seniority. Best commuting job by a long shot. Great pay, great retirement. Great vacation. No people contact...... Good or bad.
There are some terrific, long layovers at FedEx. Few, short flights are nice, but if they are in the middle of the night, they can still be tough. The bottom line is it's just a job!.....I do enjoy it though. For me, the QOL is great considering what's important to me which is time off. I think i'd have had a good time at Southwest too. Best of luck.

Latest resources

Back