• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F D X v. S W A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Night freight sucks. Yeah, they'll argue that it's not all night freight, but that's not the point, most of your career you'll be flying on the backside of the clock.

It's not hard at all to stay up 24 hours straight twice a week, if you commute home on the weekends. Compare that to the guys over at SWA flying 12 days per month on either a morning or afternoon shift, in bed by midnight at the latest.

With SWA captains earning close to $200k per year (and a lot earning a quarter million) you can't make the earnings argument anymore.

If you don't heed my advice and go with Fedex, I hope you'll have a little voice ringing in your ear the third or fourth day that you are stumbling into the hotel at seven in the morning while the rest of the world is going to work..."this sucks, he was right!"

The flamers will start now with "postal this" and "it's not all bad", but heed my words.

Purpled said:
In the short to medium term, Fedex would probably be your best bet financially/stability wise, but that is only good for a couple of years, if that.
For the most part, life will be happier and easier at SWA over the same time frame, which has value as well.
Is there a memo I've missed? Is FedEx on the brink of some financial collapse? Last I heard, FedEx is making buckets of cash and the future growth models are such that growth should continue in the double digits for the forseeable future.

Life will be happier and easier at SWA? I've got lots of friends at both places and the guys with the biggest bags under their eyes, ironically enough, are the SWA guys. They squeeze them for every drop of blood and sweat they can. Six or Seven sorties in a day when I'm 59? I think I will have had enough of Lubbock and El Paso by then. You can have it Quiet Flight..........

Good dilemma! Here's my .02: FDX is great. SWA is great, but different. I just read an article talking about how they're going to be exploring "cost control options". You have a long track record of record profits there, but a long track record in the pax carriers of losing money/being vulnerable to terrroism and toothpaste and water and hair gel. FDX kills their competition, flat out. We make a ton of cash (not gloating) and where does it stop? Can it stop? Questions to ponder you know? You will work your butt off here at night for a while, but it gets better. I would have a hard time flying SWA lines at 6 goes per day and never leave Texass, but that's me. Where else with SWA grow to? I think it's possible they are reaching their max potential unless they change their model (and if they do, then they bump against the Legacies who have gotten smarter in the last couple of years and want to kill SWA). FDX hasn't begun to reach their growth potential. More mail, international, more planes, etc. all signs point to massive growth.

FYI, just my opinion. Nice problem to have. Good luck!

Malter1 said:
Is there a memo I've missed? Is FedEx on the brink of some financial collapse? Last I heard, FedEx is making buckets of cash and the future growth models are such that growth should continue in the double digits for the forseeable future.

Life will be happier and easier at SWA? I've got lots of friends at both places and the guys with the biggest bags under their eyes, ironically enough, are the SWA guys. They squeeze them for every drop of blood and sweat they can. Six or Seven sorties in a day when I'm 59? I think I will have had enough of Lubbock and El Paso by then. You can have it Quiet Flight..........

I didn't realize they sent memos to the guys in the pool

Well, I was trying to be even-keeled and fair. You certainly don't have to guess which one I'd pick, I didn't even have an app in at SWA, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's a nice place to work.

FYI, I'm as happy as any of my friends at SWA, at least...but I have done a few night hub turns and they weren't fun. Everything at SWA seems to be 'happy and glad' kool-aid type attitudes. Life here is more 'nose to the grindstone, git'er done' stuff.

Also, please don't jinx us about the profitability, it's boastful and unbecoming...however, if I take my non-parochial hat off I'd say that FedEx is a no-brainer from every aspect except two: 1) you just have to fly pax(not a good reason) 2) you live in a SWA domicile and want to bid reserve there.

Happy Malter?

QF--the biggest down side to this situation is that you will have to turn down one of these fine companies...and hope that it never comes back to bite ya!
Mostly, try to get the goods and bads from your friends at the individual companies, it'll be the most helpful to ya!!

Good luck.

Last edited:
Purpled said:
Also, please don't jinx us about the profitability, it's boastful and unbecoming...
Not boasting or jinxing. Simply trying to understand your statement implying that FedEx had only a couple of good financial years left in it. Didn't understand where you were coming from is all.......

Wildmanny said:
I would have a hard time flying SWA lines at 6 goes per day and never leave Texass, but that's me.

6 goes per day???? Well, if someone wants them...they are there....but if you don't ....don't bid 'em....and you won't get them. I've been junior and middle of the road seniority-wise and the only time I have ever flown 6-7 legs per day is when I actually wanted to ( and that's been two days in the last 10 years).

I'm a Texas based guy and have a 3 day tomorrow....4 legs on day 1...3 on day 2 and 3 on day 3....Uh...and layover on the East Coast tomorrow and the West coast Friday night....So it looks like I will leave Texas on this trip...

Tejas

Malter1 said:
Not boasting or jinxing. Simply trying to understand your statement implying that FedEx had only a couple of good financial years left in it. Didn't understand where you were coming from is all.......

Allow me to clarify, the 'sure thing' aspect of that prediction is only good for a limited time. I, like you, think and hope that it will be true for a lot longer.

Nothing after yesterday is guaranteed.

Last edited:
radarlove said:
Night freight sucks. Yeah, they'll argue that it's not all night freight, but that's not the point, most of your career you'll be flying on the backside of the clock.

It's not hard at all to stay up 24 hours straight twice a week, if you commute home on the weekends. Compare that to the guys over at SWA flying 12 days per month on either a morning or afternoon shift, in bed by midnight at the latest.

With SWA captains earning close to $200k per year (and a lot earning a quarter million) you can't make the earnings argument anymore.

If you don't heed my advice and go with Fedex, I hope you'll have a little voice ringing in your ear the third or fourth day that you are stumbling into the hotel at seven in the morning while the rest of the world is going to work..."this sucks, he was right!"

The flamers will start now with "postal this" and "it's not all bad", but heed my words.

What is the difference between flying a widebody for NWA/UAL/DAL/AA and FedEx?

Rez O. Lewshun said:
What is the difference between flying a widebody for NWA/UAL/DAL/AA and FedEx?

The difference is that he didn't get turned down by NWA/UAL/DAL/AA.

Or maybe he did.

Latest resources

Back