F-35C passed the Critical Design Review

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Isn't the gun on the Hornet 20mm, too?
Give the man a cigar!!! The point is the 20mm is optimized for A/A employment. The other point, which has been lost as this thread gets further hi-jacked into an entertaining interservice, inter-platform rivalry bash, is that it is pure folly to design our next primary CAS and ground attack platform without a gun and a second engine. Call me crazy, but the gun comes in pretty handy. All the platforms flying in OIF/OEF have straffed, oops,sorry B-1 and B-2 guys. At least the 20mm is better than nothing, especially danger close. And if having a second engine is so bad, why did they put two engines on the F-22? You don't see any commercial airliners or transports with just one engine. I suddenly feel the need to slowly drink some Jeremiah Weed. As Mangnum says, I am only a monkey flying a Hog.

MAGNUM!!

The MC-130 guys from Eglin couldn't figure out how to get the wind data into the computers when they dropped us in NC and didn't really seem to give a sh*t when we ended up in the trees 2 out of 3 times. They said it was a complex problem. Who am I to doubt them?

Just Cause is a topic I will be happy to discuss over a beer.

If your story is 10% true, the most likely explanation is that your DZCO passed the winds incorrectly, after reading them incorrectly of his wind gizmo thingy, which then led to the crew inserting passed incorrect winds into the "computer," followed by you delaying your exit by 5 seconds after green light and/or continuing jump after red light, then incorrectly steering, and then landing in the trees. Was it off DZ? If so, then your whole story is a lie b/c there wouldn't have been a second drop in the first place. I think we've covered this before on a different thread. I don't know what exactly happened that fateful day in NC, but I'm sorry that the one time you jumped out of an MC-130 was disappointing. And, BTW, there are no Combat Talons (or Combat Talon IIs) at Eglin. Never have been, either. Ever.

Wilde Havana's please. I found it interesting that you toted the F/A-18 as one of the best OEF CAS platforms and bashed the 20mm for "chasing down squirters" in the same breath. Owell.

I believe it is "Oh well" vice "Owell". I think "Owell" is a Eubonics word. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You just reminded me to look here in Mexico for some Cubans, cigars that is. Yes, it is interesting that I toted the Hornet and disparaged the 20mm in the same post. Like Rumsfeld says,"You go to war with what you have." (close approximation of a quote that was a lame excuse for poor planning).
I'll state again that the Combatant Commander has specifically requested 30mm in theater now.
This demonstrates there is obviously some need for:
1. an aircraft with a gun
2. A gun larger than 20mm
Which once again, for the third time, but who's counting, brings me back to my original point that the JSF needs a gun. Preferably a big one, so to speak.

I believe it is "Oh well" vice "Owell". I think "Owell" is a Eubonics word. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You just reminded me to look here in Mexico for some Cubans, cigars that is. Yes, it is interesting that I toted the Hornet and disparaged the 20mm in the same post. Like Rumsfeld says,"You go to war with what you have." (close approximation of a quote that was a lame excuse for poor planning).
I'll state again that the Combatant Commander has specifically requested 30mm in theater now.
This demonstrates there is obviously some need for:
1. an aircraft with a gun
2. A gun larger than 20mm
Which once again, for the third time, but who's counting, brings me back to my original point that the JSF needs a gun. Preferably a big one, so to speak.

We got rid of the dual 20mm on the gunpigs because - at the altitudes we fired them at - the rounds reach terminal velocity (ie slowed down) and most failed to detonate. My opinion was the lead would still kill gomers, but the P/k was low. So...you are correct - it is primarily an Air-air weapon, although it works well against pink bodies at altitudes lower than 10k AGL. So........AC 130s are now getting 30mm single barrel toys. 2x30mm and 1x105. plus some new phaser or photon torpedo in the next few years.
And I applaud the hog at 250KTAS with old screens. One of the best pieces of equipment ever purchased by the USAF. No hogs in my UPT drop (didnt want an F16) so I chose gunpigs.....thought Id like living on the beach...and I did..for the few days I was actually here.

atleast he has a mission. . . .you fly the most expensive airshow exhibit ever. . oh. . .my bad. . .mig cap is vital to OEF/OIF. . .

Is this supposed to be an insult to me personally? When I had the opportunity to go fly the Raptor, what was I supposed to say? No?

I'm sure you were just trying to be flip and score some points with a (not so) witty comment, but your slam really doesn't make much sense. Should we ground all the F-15Cs right now since there is no air threat in OEF/OIF? Isn't is appropriate for the US military to prepare for any and all future conflicts? We didn't design or build the F-14/15/16/18 for the EXACT conflict we're having now. Even the A-10 wasn't built with this current conflict in mind.

It's almost comical that you sit up there with the autopilot on while the boomers give us gas, all the while not having a clue what all those little airplanes are actually going to do with said gas. Nice.

Sidenote: The A-10 is a better strafer than any othe fighter. I don't think anyone here has said otherwise. The JSF should have a gun. Two motors ain't that big of a deal, though. 30mm is better than 20mm, but if you hit a car with PGU-27 it's going to get the job done.

actually, pr*cks, (since we've taken to name calling) I was just returning some smack after the 250kt monkey comments to pony (you obviously dish better than you take). I do comically sit up front with the autopilot on now though (8 years as a boomer putting up with c*cks like you 2 stool-pushers was enough). Obviously the raptor is a good airframe, and obviously I'll most happily give you gas, but if your gonna run sh*t, you should probably be able to take it. Oh and I apologize for my herbivore terminology, I learned it from my dad he only made it to 73 missions north in his A6, I'll tell him it's really DCA so he'll sound cooler at his next RRVFPA get together.

-WHooop, gotta go, I think the recievers are in precontact and I have to put this laptop down to turn on the ar pumps (autopilot doesn't do that yet)..

-cheers

actually, pr*cks, (since we've taken to name calling) I was just returning some smack after the 250kt monkey comments to pony (you obviously dish better than you take). I do comically sit up front with the autopilot on now though (8 years as a boomer putting up with c*cks like you 2 stool-pushers was enough). Obviously the raptor is a good airframe, and obviously I'll most happily give you gas, but if your gonna run sh*t, you should probably be able to take it. Oh and I apologize for my herbivore terminology, I learned it from my dad he only made it to 73 missions north in his A6, I'll tell him it's really DCA so he'll sound cooler at his next RRVFPA get together.

-WHooop, gotta go, I think the recievers are in precontact and I have to put this laptop down to turn on the ar pumps (autopilot doesn't do that yet)..

-cheers

Copy, Sally. I'm also a RRVFPA member. Looks like you're a little more sensitive than the rest of us. I'll look for you at the next reunion....in the ladies room.

Last edited:
Is this supposed to be an insult to me personally? When I had the opportunity to go fly the Raptor, what was I supposed to say? No?

I'm sure you were just trying to be flip and score some points with a (not so) witty comment, but your slam really doesn't make much sense. Should we ground all the F-15Cs right now since there is no air threat in OEF/OIF? Isn't is appropriate for the US military to prepare for any and all future conflicts? We didn't design or build the F-14/15/16/18 for the EXACT conflict we're having now. Even the A-10 wasn't built with this current conflict in mind.

It's almost comical that you sit up there with the autopilot on while the boomers give us gas, all the while not having a clue what all those little airplanes are actually going to do with said gas. Nice.

Sidenote: The A-10 is a better strafer than any othe fighter. I don't think anyone here has said otherwise. The JSF should have a gun. Two motors ain't that big of a deal, though. 30mm is better than 20mm, but if you hit a car with PGU-27 it's going to get the job done.

I'm the sensistive one ? ? uh. . . ok. . .

I will be in the ladies room though. . . taking special care of your girl. . .(not scrap. .the other one. .)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back