• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F-18F Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good discussion. Nose position vs energy.

Flankers - They may have a kick-a$$ platform, but if they don't train on it, if they're getting 40 hours annually, then they may as well be flying MiG-15's. However, I'm assuming that there are flankers exported to countries that can afford the training. It demands respect.

Turning/burning: One thing training never prepares you for... having half your flight blow up pre-merge. That was what the F-15 excelled at, and still does, while maintaining respectable turning powers. In Gulf war 1, 98% of the AA kills were high-speed, hit and run. There was only one sustained fight that I'm aware of, and that was a 58th TFS Gorilla pilot who I know driving a MiG-29 into the dirt in a Lufberry-ish turning fight. Everything else was 600 KIAS+ shots, haul a$$, and the majority were AIM-7's, not AIM-9's.

I've often thought that we should practice combined arms more often, in the sense that a tremendous fighting flight would consist of 2-4 F-15's paired with 2-4 F-16's. Use the F-15 strengths - excellent radar discipline, pre-merge sorting, long range death. At the merge, the F-16's would mop up with point and shoot heaters. Then everyone haul a$$ and do it again the next day.

That was not a new concept. We were tossing it out in the '80's, but the brass never bit on it. I still think it makes sense.

Gorilla we are cleared hot to do Mixed Force Fighter Ops (MFFO) these days and it's written into 3-1. We have done some limited stuff in my Guard unit with the SCANG guys (everyone up on data link). An Eagle with APG-63V0 or V1 paired up with a Block 50/52 Viper would be a killing team. Add the Helmet & 9x to the mix creates even more effective WVR cleaning up.
However, the APG-63V2 guys are in a league of their own. That has to be the most impressive radar tape I've seen. And the V3 is right around the corner.
I also agree that Rico's timing has been world class.

Re: what Biff said... the guys I've talked to that have used the new AESA radar's are all floored by the capabilities. Can't wait to see it perform coupled with HMC and -120D.

Sig BTW the best Hornet fights I've had is with the A+. The last flight control revision was impressive (didn't realize there was so much more to be had). I did get a CF-18B ride while stationed at Eglin and was impressed with the flight controls.

As always, jumping in way late!!

technically the Super is a BIGGER dumb grey animal. Elephant is to hard to say in a ball call though.

What about manatee? Or, as it's commonly known, Sea Cow? It's easy to say and the word "sea" denotes its being a Navy Jet.

;) Just a biased former Rhino guy's $.02!!;)

I agree, imagination is lacking, and originality is non-existant...

Don't name it anything, and pilots will come up with something short and to the point (because we're lazy), guaranteed!

The E/F model looks better, I think it's due to square intakes, bigger LEX or strake, and just that it's...bigger!

The name is right there looking us right in the face, just add a letter...The F/A-18 E/F (Elf). Perfect for the holidays.

Lockheed has been trying to name something Lightning II since the YF-22, the AF chose another name for the 22 and called it the Raptor, so Lockheed tried again and suceeded.

I used to work on the F-119 at Pratt back in 89-91, when the Lightning II moniker was still being considered for the YF-22, and someone printed out some F-119 t-shirts that said, "F-119 - The Thunder Behind the Lightning II". I think I still have one laying about.

Sig BTW the best Hornet fights I've had is with the A+. The last flight control revision was impressive (didn't realize there was so much more to be had). I did get a CF-18B ride while stationed at Eglin and was impressed with the flight controls.

Ya those things are BFM monsters. Their lighter than most fleet Hornets because they don't have a lot of the boxes, plus they have the big motors.

The software revisions are always amazing. I'm constantly impressed at what the 50 lb brains come up with... especially when you think how old the computers are. The jet has def evolved a lot over the years.

I didn't realize that the A+'s had the bigger EPE motor. That would explain why it was a tough fight that ended neutral at the floor both times. I honestly can't remember configurations however we might get more of the same here shortly (we are in our BFM phase again). We fly F15A's with the bigger engine and are sort of an anomaly. It's quite the BFM monster and able to hang with most of the big engined Vipers (depending on their configuration).
I have done several BFM hops with the F model and can confirm they need more power. It wasn't a fair scrap.

I didn't realize that the A+'s had the bigger EPE motor. That would explain why it was a tough fight that ended neutral at the floor both times. I honestly can't remember configurations however we might get more of the same here shortly (we are in our BFM phase again). We fly F15A's with the bigger engine and are sort of an anomaly. It's quite the BFM monster and able to hang with most of the big engined Vipers (depending on their configuration).
I have done several BFM hops with the F model and can confirm they need more power. It wasn't a fair scrap.

Watch which F's you fight. With 9x and Helmet... well... I won't post specifics on the internet, but you may find yourself dead about 1/4 second after the merge.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back