Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
USMCAirWinger said:
United Arab Emirates: Block 60 E/F Models

If you were looking at a two seater it was either a D or F model.

Wow, now I feel like a dork!

One our way back from the desert last years I saw about 6 of the UAE Block 60's sitting at Moron. As a 16 crew chief I was interested and took a look around. They are quite different than our block 42/52's a few of them had the conformals. Pretty neat seeing three bags and conformals all on at once, i'd like to see how much fuel they carry.

http://http://media.putfile.com/Turn-off-the-heat

Last edited:
RJP said:
Only f-16 guys call themselves 'vipers'. Yes, 'porkers' are gay.

And with those conformal tanks, they get another 10 minutes over the FEBA to perform their magical CAS and FAC missions!

Cheers!

Choke yourself (sts)!

LearLove said:
Speaking of F-16's - I was using the google earth program to look for ski/mtb spots out west in Utah/Idaho and came across Hill AFB. The flight line was filled with 16's - how many are based there? How many wings/units and were they the first to get the 16 as an operational base in the late 70's?

Lots.
2x F-16 wings: 388 FW (ACC), 419 FW (USAFR)
Yes.

http://www.hill.af.mil/388fw/ViperWestLink/factsheets.html

LearLove said:
Speaking of F-16's - I was using the google earth program to look for ski/mtb spots out west in Utah/Idaho and came across Hill AFB. The flight line was filled with 16's - how many are based there? How many wings/units and were they the first to get the 16 as an operational base in the late 70's?
I remember when a buddy of mine was on an exchange tour with the Spanish AF about 12 years ago. He told a story where he mentioned to the Spanish pilots at the Club one night that Luke had something like 300+ F-16's on the ramp. The Spaniards were laughing so hard, 'cause they couldn't believe how stupid a USAF pilot could be. I mean, that's more aircraft than the Spanish AF has in the entire country! Then, they found out he was correct. He said they were dumbfounded that one base could have that many fighter aircraft.

OK, I'm suppressing my urge to start with some Viper jokes! Seriously, though, it's a neat jet. Would love to have flown it more than the 10 hours I got in the backseat.

Put another motor on it and it would be alright.

I must admit that the seat is much more comfy than a standard ACES II.

The Generalissimo

Huggyu2 said:
The Spaniards were laughing so hard, 'cause they couldn't believe how stupid a USAF pilot could be.

They would have an even bigger laugh if they saw the Spanish General's demo flight in an F-16 at Edwards years ago. He couldn't speak English, but insisted on flying the single-seater, and General Dynamics was eager to make a sale, so they chased him in a T-38 with a bilingual officer in the back seat. After getting lost in the restricted area once or twice, the General tried a touch-and-go landing. Unfortunately, he had the brakes locked, blew tires, spun around, almost flipped, and caught fire. Fortunately, he came to a stop directly in front of a fire truck. That deal was kept very quiet. :0

RJP said:
Put another motor on it and it would be alright.

I must admit that the seat is much more comfy than a standard ACES II.

We don't lose as many F-16s to engine failures as you probably think. I'd say it's "alright" now...as would all the freakin' countries that fly them.

MAGNUM!! said:
We don't lose as many F-16s to engine failures as you probably think. I'd say it's "alright" now...as would all the freakin' countries that fly them.

Yeah, but there's hardly any legroom. You can't even put your feet up, comfortably eat your lunch, or get up to take a leak. I'd say it definitely needs some improvement.

Deuce130 said:
Yeah, but there's hardly any legroom. You can't even put your feet up, comfortably eat your lunch, or get up to take a leak. I'd say it definitely needs some improvement.

I also don't have to ask the Nav where I'm going, tell the radio operator what to say, or ask the Co- to put the gear down. Fair trade.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back