• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ExpressJet Pilots Reach Tentative Agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exclusivity is unidirectional---CAL can't employ another regional to fly RJs, but XJT can work for another major. It expires end of 2006 anyway.

Captain X said:
Are you sure that covers all of Express Jet HOLDINGS and XJT Holdings or just Express Jet AIRLINES?

I'm also not sure your facts regarding the hub exclusivity are accurate as well.

While Express Jet is the only jet provider for CAL thru the hubs, I believe other jet carriers could be CAL Connection if there was no hub flying involved. That's why SkyWest and CHQ have been talking with CAL about providing feed -- in jets.

Hurry and sign the contract 11%- thats awesome - thats the best I have ever heard - industry leading - 1.60/hr per diem - thats great - why do we need more per diem - we eat less than those overwieght major airline pilots. We are a Regional - Mexico Canada, Continental United States is just in our region. We should be paying the jims to fly their jets- Hurry and sign - what a deal - thats great - what a deal - and only another 6 years until another contract (4yrs plus 2 yrs to negotiate the next one) thats great - A BIG FAT "YES" - Poverty is great -

killjack said:
Hurry and sign the contract 11%- thats awesome - thats the best I have ever heard - industry leading - 1.60/hr per diem - thats great - why do we need more per diem - we eat less than those overwieght major airline pilots. We are a Regional - Mexico Canada, Continental United States is just in our region. We should be paying the jims to fly their jets- Hurry and sign - what a deal - thats great - what a deal - and only another 6 years until another contract (4yrs plus 2 yrs to negotiate the next one) thats great - A BIG FAT "YES" - Poverty is great -
Thank you for the mature and productive statement JF.

Give me a call sometime or attend a road show and lets talk about it.

-Neal

What's the answer???

Neal,

First of all......GO WOLFPACK!!!!!!

But perhaps more importantly....I have a question for you. Why is it that the union continues to allow near poverty level entry wages for professional pilots. While I'm quite sure we (first year FO's) have your sympathy, I'm not so sure you or any of our other reps are going to ever do something about it.

Personally I think there may be selfish motives within the pilot group thinking and thanking God that they were able to make it through that first year so everybody else should have to go through it too and besides that just means more money for ME ME ME.

But I have another angle perhaps ALPA reps should take. As long as first year FO's are paid near poverty wages for the first year, there will always be a "subconscious cap" on the pilots at the top of the food chain as well.

This brainwash tactic that seems to have worked for years in this business of well......"that's just the way it is" is not going to work in the current aviation environment. People are no longer looking at the "Regional Airline" as a stepping stone and fully expect to spend 5 or more years there if not make a career of it and these wages are simply not acceptable any longer. That's why I think there is so much of an emotional response from pilots these days when contract negotiations come up in conversation.

Anyway....fact of the matter is we're highly trained professionals just like engineers are and you will be hard pressed to see starting salaries for that same type of job below $40 K let alone $20 K.

Are Union reps not there to take up for the little guy? Is it not their job to make substantial gains in the face of such blatently obvious corporate greed?

I'm guessing that TA1 will indeed be voted down and I sincerely hope that if that happens that the negotiators strive more diligently to raise the bar from the BOTTOM up!

Thanks and I really would appreciate your response!

-WolfManPack

P.S. Glad we don't have to play you guys in football this year! ;)

Last edited:
WolfManPack said:
Neal,

First of all......GO WOLFPACK!!!!!!

But perhaps more importantly....I have a question for you. Why is it that the union continues to allow near poverty level entry wages for professional pilots. While I'm quite sure we (first year FO's) have your sympathy, I'm not so sure you or any of our other reps are going to ever do something about it.

Personally I think there may be selfish motives within the pilot group thinking and thanking God that they were able to make it through that first you so everybody else should have to go through it too and besides that just means more money for ME ME ME.

But I have another angle perhaps ALPA reps should take. As long as first year FO's are paid near poverty wages for the first year, there will always be a "subcoscious cap" on the pilots at the top of the food chain as well.

This brainwash tactic that seems to have worked for years in this business of well......"that's just the way it is" is not going to work in the current aviation environment. People are no longer looking at the "Regional Airline" as a stepping stone and fully expect to send 5 or more years there if not make a career of it and these wages are simply not acceptable any longer. That's why I think there is so much of an emotional response from pilots these days when contract negotiations come up in conversation.

Anyway....fact of the matter is we're highly trained professionals just like engineers are and you will be hard pressed to see starting salaries for that same type of job below $40 K let alone $20 K.

Are Union reps not there to take up for the little guy? Is it not there job to make substantial gains in the face of such blatently obvious corporate greed?

I'm guessing that TA1 will indeed be voted down and I sincerely hope that if that happens that the negotiators strive more diligently to raise the bar from the BOTTOM up!

Thanks and I really would appreciate your response!

-WolfManPack

P.S. Glad we don't have to play you guys in football this year! ;)
Attend a road show and voice your concerns there. All questions will be answered frankly and honestly.

-Neal

BluDevAv8r said:
Attend a road show and voice your concerns there. All questions will be answered frankly and honestly.

-Neal
Yes, attend a road show. That way union reps armed with the knowledge of approximately 10 lawyers will be able to pummel you live with facts as to you why you deserve jack sh1t.

Want a brief summary, instead of a pummeling by your constituents? I'll quote XJT CEO Jim Ream; "You're a poor silly soul. If you don't like it, I'll help you pack your sh1t!"

Here's the real answer: This is progress, a bone tossed out by the company (however meager it may be). Want real progress? Vote it down with authoriy.

This TA is an embarrassment!!! Unfortunately, I saw it coming a mile away like the majority. :/

What's the answer???

Neal,

With all due respect and I say that with all sincerity because I do appreciate the hard work you have put into this process and understand to an extent the situation you must find yourself in.

Having said that however...aren't YOU supposed to be the voice of my concerns?

You know it's not everyday that I get to talk to Ream or Nidis.

I appreciate your response and I hope to be able to make the meeting you guys have....but that was not the response I was looking for.

Thanks for replying nonetheless though!

WolfManPack said:
Neal,

With all due respect and I say that with all sincerity because I do appreciate the hard work you have put into this process and understand to an extent the situation you must find yourself in.

Having said that however...aren't YOU supposed to be the voice of my concerns?

You know it's not everyday that I get to talk to Ream or Nidis.

I appreciate your response and I hope to be able to make the meeting you guys have....but that was not the response I was looking for.

Thanks for replying nonetheless though!
Yes, I have been voicing OUR concerns for over 2 years now. However, what I will not do is engage in an open public debate (with an anonymous entity nonetheless). Sorry. My previous offer stands - Attend a road show and feel free to ask any and all questions at that time.

-Neal

WolfPack....

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the life of a probationary pilot pretty much sucks. Deal with it.

BTW, you've got a lot of balls to throw accusations like that around, especially as a "First year FO".

Last edited:
I just read through the bullet points and skimmed the larger TA. Having worked at XJET before and then worked for a major...I'd say this is a much more formal, mature contract that everyone should be proud of. Block or better on a leg basis is HUGE! (We were all told at the road shows in 97 thats how it'd work...guess they made a mistake). Other things being spelled out like maternity leave, the big scope improvements, uniform allowance (no excuse for looking like crap), reduced duty time allowance for backside of the clock, only 1 leg after standups possible. The reserve system is somewhat similar to what I had at DAL and it was fantastic. All the little quality of life things add a lot of value to an employee...its not as easy to quantify as a pay rate but they are what you deal with more often as you progress through life at a company.

Don't just look at payrates by themselves. The Year 1 FO pay is sad but the agreement as a whole appears pretty solid. I think you'll see a higher paycheck with all the extras than the payrate tables initially suggest (75 x rate). But then I only looked at it for an hour. The retro pay is structured nicely too. The raises compared to status quo are pretty good as well.

You guys can be proud of this contract. Enjoy your XJET retro this XMAS! ;)

Latest resources

Back