• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigDave

AP
Continental Seen Giving Mesa Business
Thursday December 29, 9:45 am ET Continental Seen Giving Business Pulled From ExpressJet to Mesa, Republic, SkyWest
NEW YORK (AP) -- Mesa Air Group Inc. shares jumped in early trading on Thursday after Continental Airlines Inc. said it plans to pull 69 of 274 jets from its contract with ExpressJet Holdings Inc. Raymond James analyst James Parker said ExpressJet's loss could be a boon for regional carriers such as Mesa, SkyWest Inc. and Republic Airways Holdings Inc.
"Republic, Mesa, and Trans States, a privately owned carrier, all operate 50-seat Embraer RJs and could operate all or a portion of the 69 RJs. SkyWest, which operates Canadair RJs but not ERJs, may also bid on some or all of these aircraft."

Parker upgraded his rating on Mesa and Republic to Outperform, and reiterated his Outperform rating on Skywest.
Shares of Mesa were up by 42 cents, or 4.2 percent, to $10.47 in early trading on the Nasdaq, while Republic Airways shares were trading at up 35 cents, or 2.4 percent, at $14.85. SkyWest shares added 51 cents, or 2 percent, to traded at $27.36.

This says it all. If there was ever a question about who is the bottom feeders, the answer is clear now.

BigDave said:
AP
Continental Seen Giving Mesa Business
Thursday December 29, 9:45 am ET Continental Seen Giving Business Pulled From ExpressJet to Mesa, Republic, SkyWest
NEW YORK (AP) -- Mesa Air Group Inc. shares jumped in early trading on Thursday after Continental Airlines Inc. said it plans to pull 69 of 274 jets from its contract with ExpressJet Holdings Inc. Raymond James analyst James Parker said ExpressJet's loss could be a boon for regional carriers such as Mesa, SkyWest Inc. and Republic Airways Holdings Inc.
"Republic, Mesa, and Trans States, a privately owned carrier, all operate 50-seat Embraer RJs and could operate all or a portion of the 69 RJs. SkyWest, which operates Canadair RJs but not ERJs, may also bid on some or all of these aircraft."

Parker upgraded his rating on Mesa and Republic to Outperform, and reiterated his Outperform rating on Skywest.
Shares of Mesa were up by 42 cents, or 4.2 percent, to $10.47 in early trading on the Nasdaq, while Republic Airways shares were trading at up 35 cents, or 2.4 percent, at $14.85. SkyWest shares added 51 cents, or 2 percent, to traded at $27.36.

This says it all. If there was ever a question about who is the bottom feeders, the answer is clear now.

Whasssa matter? Did someone dull your shiny jet?

BigDave said:

Too bad I had to sell last spring at about $18/share. Frickin' down payment!

GP

wow...none of these carriers have even put in bids for this flying or for that matter, none have even publicly expressed an interest in bidding for this flying and you are already mad at them for doing nothing.

If anything, your anger should be directed at Continental. They should be recognizing the value that XJT brings to their company. They should recognize that paying higher prices for a higher value isn't a bad thing...if another regional is able to show that they are able to produce the same level of value that XJET does, then why would you want to pay a higher price for equal value? It doesn't make sense.

Flying Illini said:
wow...none of these carriers have even put in bids for this flying or for that matter, none have even publicly expressed an interest in bidding for this flying and you are already mad at them for doing nothing.

Exactly!

This is Wall Street greed brought out in the form of mass speculation. I personally think if anything changes it will be CAL returning the 145s and RAH getting the bid with E170s, but you don't see me buying on margin (not that I really could afford to). SKW bidding on 145s is a joke, but if I were a SKW pilot (or manager) I'd be thanking the fools for free publicity and laughing all the way to my broker's office.

Its entirely possible that the big brokerage firms have researchers who read Flightinfo and say "pilots say Mesa's gonna get it, buy Mortimer, BUY BUY BUY!"

...then again, probably not...

BoilerUP said:
Its entirely possible that the big brokerage firms have researchers who read Flightinfo and say "pilots say Mesa's gonna get it, buy Mortimer, BUY BUY BUY!"
Nice.

Wait a sec. Maybe you're on to something there. Maybe this whole thing is just a bet between a couple of billionaires to see just how low a wage pilots will accept, knowing they love to fly. The payoff?

1 buck.

Good luck XJTers and all.

First of all no one can fly 70 seaters for Cal but Cal... This has been mentioned 47 times and no one seems to remember this fact... Its in their contract... and trust me CAL pilots aint giving up their scope clause any time soon...

This will be a bid for 50 seat flying. Thats it...

Second of All XJT also has a chance to play "Bottom Feeder Killer" no offence to the pilots... There are going to be 69 RJs out there 44 of which are the XRs which are almost never weight restricted and carries an extra hour of fuel making such legs as IAH-PSP/ONT/YYZ/BOI and EWR-YYT/TUL/OKC/BTR/MSY possible... All with 50 people. The service cant be beat... it might be time for Mesa, CHQ, TSA, or SKW to take a little punch in the nose.

joe_pilot said:
Nice.

Wait a sec. Maybe you're on to something there. Maybe this whole thing is just a bet between a couple of billionaires to see just how low a wage pilots will accept, knowing they love to fly. The payoff?

1 buck.

Good luck XJTers and all.

We already know, some pilots will pay the company to fly.

BigDave...I don't understand how you can compare Skywest to Mesa and Trans States.

Yeah, it's not good for XJT...but I feel Skywest is a superior carrier to XJT.

Latest resources

Back