• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Expressjet (ASA) MGMT managing by intimidation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about the latest crew who went home and left the #2 engine running?

Its very Weird and wrong that xjt and ASA sides have those sick policies while Skywest doesn't. Unless there is a pattern of calling in sick, like calling in around all the holidays or weekends, you will never hear anything from your CP or mgmt. No doctors not has ever been required when I have called in sick, even if it's between a 30 min turn in base. The stories I have heard about the ASA and sick occurrences is nuts.

#2 Occurrences... This company has a ridiculous system of punishment for a whole range of conduct it deems unacceptable.

Your father has a heart attack resulting in you missing work? That's an occurrence

You get the flu? Perhaps H1N1 and miss work? Thats an occurrence

You blow off work to go fishing? Thats an occurrence

Refuse an extension? Yeah....... Occurrence

Yep.....all the same

The only way to get out of one for calling in sick is the use of FMLA. Which requires seeing a doctor, who has to prescribe continuing treatment. A TOTAL abuse of a federal program. FAA regs requiring you to remove yourself if you are unfit to fly? NAAAHH...You better not. punitive action for that.

Get a certain number of these and you are subject to an escalating variety of punitive action, ranging from a verbal warning to termination. It was always a loosely enforced policy until the last year or two.

Cue the usual apologists who say it's not hard to avoid calling in sick. Live in base...no kids...28 years old.......Yeah I didn't have many for the first 9 or so years either.

You will become familiar with the occurrence policy after we are integrated.

3. Alternate DH has been approved a lot more recently. Up until the last few weeks. Now...you are denied simply because you desire it.

Ok, that's what I though but wasn't sure. On the ERJ side, as long as you have a doctor's note, it doesn't count as an excuse. It's unlimited. If you don't have a doctors note, 4 in the last 12 months will get you a verbal, 5 written warning, 6 term warning, 7 termination (although supposedly no one has ever been terminated for this). For death in the family, they will give you an emergency drop which will protect you to MMG.

As for DH, unless you are reserve, they pretty much have to release you from them.

Its very Weird and wrong that xjt and ASA sides have those sick policies while Skywest doesn't. Unless there is a pattern of calling in sick, like calling in around all the holidays or weekends, you will never hear anything from your CP or mgmt. No doctors not has ever been required when I have called in sick, even if it's between a 30 min turn in base. The stories I have heard about the ASA and sick occurrences is nuts.

I had a friend who was a Bro check airman and he told me horror stories of intimidation over there. Being transferred to the manager on call after telling crew support he was calling in sick just to be asked why he was calling in sick and brow beaten for it.

Last edited:
I had a friend who was a Bro check airman and he told me horror stories of intimidation over there. Being transferred to the manager on call after telling crew support he was calling in sick just to be asked why he was calling in sick and brow beaten for it.

I call bull********************, it's recorded. Ten plus years and all I have ever heard was ok, hope u feel better. The policy is still BS though...U never have any obligation to tell crew sked why u are sick..

Maybe they want to guarantee a workforce by giving EVERYONE letters in their files so they can't get hired anywhere

It's getting a little ridiculous

I few with a couple CA's that have continuous FMLA on file and don't need to get the paperwork every time they call in sick, just one a year. Sinuses or allergys is usually the reason. Gotta play the game.

Personally in 7 years, no one have ever asked why I was calling out sick and a few time even got a "hope you feel better".

The post flight issue should be a carpet dance and not a suspension but I don't know all the facts.

I call bull********************, it's recorded. Ten plus years and all I have ever heard was ok, hope u feel better. The policy is still BS though...U never have any obligation to tell crew sked why u are sick..

No, it wasn't crew support. He said that when he would call out, they would take him off the trip and have him hold while they transfer him to the MOD or whatever they call them over there. I don't know, maybe he rubbed people the wrong way but he was a check airman so who knows.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back