• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

COOPERVANE

Member since 1967
What the hell is going on here?

1. Pilots suspended for not seeing a birdstrike on postflight.....The FO for not seeing it.....Captain for NOT PROPERLY SUPERVISING FO DURING PERFORMANCE OF HIS DUTIES

2. Pilots suspended for excessive occurrences (evidently 6 in a year is the magic number)

3. Alt DH issues continue.

4. Scheduling shenanigans

5. Intimidating a Captain who flew 4o miles to land at a longer runway after a flaps fail, simply because of the money it cost.

These are only the ones I know about, but I guarantee there are more.

Thoughts? What possible end result do they think this will accomplish? Are they trying to reduce our workforce by making this place a nightmare?

I thought this crap only happened during stalled negotiations

Got quite the "what for?" when I diverted from EWN to RDU after an inflight engine shutdown...
Seems the sector manager ran the numbers, & we "should have been OK landing @ EWN"
Told him he would have my report tomorrow, & if he had any further questions we could have a meeting w/ ALPA attorney present. Good Bye.
Never heard another word about it.
Think everyone over there is under a lot of pressure from the top down because the financials r not where they want them.... Oh yea & because the Delta TA is scarring the $hit out of them!

Can you explain number 2 and 3 any further?

#2 Occurrences... This company has a ridiculous system of punishment for a whole range of conduct it deems unacceptable.

Your father has a heart attack resulting in you missing work? That's an occurrence

You get the flu? Perhaps H1N1 and miss work? Thats an occurrence

You blow off work to go fishing? Thats an occurrence

Refuse an extension? Yeah....... Occurrence

Yep.....all the same

The only way to get out of one for calling in sick is the use of FMLA. Which requires seeing a doctor, who has to prescribe continuing treatment. A TOTAL abuse of a federal program. FAA regs requiring you to remove yourself if you are unfit to fly? NAAAHH...You better not. punitive action for that.

Get a certain number of these and you are subject to an escalating variety of punitive action, ranging from a verbal warning to termination. It was always a loosely enforced policy until the last year or two.

Cue the usual apologists who say it's not hard to avoid calling in sick. Live in base...no kids...28 years old.......Yeah I didn't have many for the first 9 or so years either.

You will become familiar with the occurrence policy after we are integrated.

3. Alternate DH has been approved a lot more recently. Up until the last few weeks. Now...you are denied simply because you desire it.

#2 Occurrences... This company has a ridiculous system of punishment for a whole range of conduct it deems unacceptable.

Your father has a heart attack resulting in you missing work? That's an occurrence

You get the flu? Perhaps H1N1 and miss work? Thats an occurrence

You blow off work to go fishing? Thats an occurrence

Refuse an extension? Yeah....... Occurrence

Yep.....all the same

The only way to get out of one for calling in sick is the use of FMLA. Which requires seeing a doctor, who has to prescribe continuing treatment. A TOTAL abuse of a federal program. FAA regs requiring you to remove yourself if you are unfit to fly? NAAAHH...You better not. punitive action for that.

Get a certain number of these and you are subject to an escalating variety of punitive action, ranging from a verbal warning to termination. It was always a loosely enforced policy until the last year or two.

Cue the usual apologists who say it's not hard to avoid calling in sick. Live in base...no kids...28 years old.......Yeah I didn't have many for the first 9 or so years either.

You will become familiar with the occurrence policy after we are integrated.

3. Alternate DH has been approved a lot more recently. Up until the last few weeks. Now...you are denied simply because you desire it.

This is pretty much Pinnacle for the last decade.

I think you meant to say there will be no more occurence policy after the integration. You think the Expressjet pilots are gonna take a contract with that stupid system? I am ASA and I won't vote it in again.

ERJ side - call in sick, bring in a doctors note and drop it off at the CPO, it gets coded as EXCUSED sick leave (ESKL) and does not count towards attendance and reliability. Fatigue call is an ASAP and done, paid out of sick bank. And for other instances we also have CPO "emergency" drops that do not count against you, but do drop your line value.

Still don't understand what "alternate dh" is? Is that being released from a scheduled deadhead so you dont have to commute in just to DH somewhere you could have easily gotten to on your own? If so... Unless your reserve on our side, this MUST be approved, unless they have an assignment on your schedule AT THE TIME YOU CALL.

1. Did the FO do a post flight?
2. Occurrences, complete BS but just go to the doctor and file FMLA. Really not a big deal. Had sOme recent experiance, if u file FMLA, and the companies vender approves it, move on. If that's an issue call the GA dept of labor, they are happy to hear that u have been threatened or disciplined with approval.

He did do a postflight I REEEEALLY want to believe there is more to this story, but the facts are he did the post flight and missed the bird strike. We all make mistakes. Is this one really worth a suspension?

If he blew it off, then he AND the Captain SHOULD do a carpet dance, but the story is he did do it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back