Expired CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MTpilot

A friend of mine has an expired flight instructor certifacate. I looked at the regs and all it says is that to reinstate his certifacates he must take the practical test, does anyone know if he needs an endorsement and if there is any required training, from the regs I think not (61.183)(h). Anyone have experience with this.

No training or sign off required. The exam (only can be done in an aircraft, not a simulator or training device) is up to the Inspector or Examiner to determine what is to be done on the reinstatement of a CFI. For the amount of training he may need, it depends how long it has been since he was current. If it has been "years" he may need more than some one who ran out last month.

If he cares to read all about it...

http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/faa/8700/8700_vol2/2_011_00.pdf

JAFI

This is why I'll never let my CFI expire. I love instructing but it would be nice to teach because I want to, not because I have to.

JAFI,
You make some of the most informative posts on this board. If you're ever in Houston PM me we'll have a beer and some BBQ!

TA

Don't spread that around, you'll ruin my reputation. And thank you for the beer and BBQ invite. I may take you up on that some time...

JAFI

P.S. smart people don't let their CFI lapse. I however, did so twice. So what does that say.......

Expired flight instructor certificates really are not that big of a deal at all. A simple checkride with a DE will get the job done. I have known many who had let their instructor tickets expire and a simple checkride later they were able to get current and be able to instruct once again. This certainly is not just an isolated case, many are/have been in your friend's position.

I've allowed mine to expire twice now, and have reinstated it both times to taking a practical test.

It is real easy to forget when your CFI expires with work, the house, the family, etc... I mark my calander (each December) what month and yes the year my CFI is due. It has worked for the last couple of years.

JAFI

An instructor who let his CFI lapse about ten years ago went to an examiner in my local area to renew his certificate. The lapsed CFI prepared and practiced for the checkride, yet he never got through the oral as he did not have any lesson plans prepared.

Are examiners looking for orals as well as practicals?

Depends on the Examiner and the circumstances. Sit down with one in advance and ask.

Latest resources

Back