Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UndauntedFlyer

Ease the nose down
If a person has an expired CFI certificate can that person give flight instruction to a pre-solo student, realizing that it won't count toward any of the flight time requirements? This would be in the owner's airplane with the owner giving instruction to his grandson.

I think it's OK because there is no rule against.

Expired CFI is akin to not having a CFI. If he's not signing the book and logging requisite hours, then it should be fine. Its just not official instruction that can count as dual towards certification. The PIC needs a current medical, of course.

UF, arent you an FAA examiner, too?

My 2 cents:

Any pilot can “teach” aviation. The question here “Is the Expired CFI - exercising the privileges of a Flight Instructor”? What is the CFI signing off? I would not even think of getting paid for this “instruction”. You don't need to confuse any question that instruction by an expired CFI was given.

A Flight Instructor may record flight time in a student log book (in your student’s case, he will not be able to log his non CFI’s flight time).
If any incident happens would the insurance company pay off if “instruction” was given when the policy may not allow it?

And a question I would ask: Expired CFI, when was the last time you gave instruction to a primary student and do you feel current to do so? Here is where I ask a couple questions any current Instructor would know. Sometimes I get a deer in the headlights look and an honest Instructor will re-evaluate his instructional currency.

If you ask can an experienced pilot “mentor” a pre solo pilot…. I say mentor away…..Just make sure your information is not dated and you are not teaching “bad” habits to give negative training.

The licensed CFI is the only one who can sign a logbook and approve someone for a checkride.

If I, a licensed pilot without a CFI, teach my son everything about how to fly an airplane, all he will need to do to make the minimum dual requirements with an Acutal CFI and demonstrate to an Actual CFI that he is prepared for the test.

Psst,..JAFI, look again, this is the airplane owner giving instruction to his own grandson.

Short term memory is the first thing to go..... and I can't remember what the second thing is......... And I do rant on.

I applaud a grandfather who wants to share with his grandson a love of aviation. In this case I would still rather he use the word mentor than teach. To mentor is to give advice, experience, and pass on what the Grandfather has learned. I still think (IMHO) the student needs to stay with in a course of study until completion. Let him learn "A" way taught by a good current instructor. After he is proficient a grandfather can gift his experience and knowledge. Or better yet be near to discuss questions when the grandson is away from the instructor studying. Or go to ground school with the grandson and take the class together. I always learn something I never knew sitting in on a class.
I have had grandfathers come up to me and proudly explain they want to "get back into teaching after XX number of years away" to teach a grandson/daughter. I try to explain how much has changed after XX number of years and recommend the grandfather go back to (maybe CFI) ground school and get current with the many changes. The last thing a student needs is to have a conflict between a Grandfather and an Instructor. The CFI and Grandpa need to reinforce (and agree on) the information the student learns. It can be a force multiplier or a conflict. It can put the student in the middle and make the learning experience less desirable.
I think all will agree we want the best for the student, all parties need to agree on what that is (and who is the primary Instructor).

I think it's OK because there is no rule against

JC that has to be the worst reason ever.
That's exactly why 91.13 is not specified.
There's no rule against it so I'm going to do it and later they'll nail your behind to the wall.

Does his insurance company approve the PIC sitting right seat? Some don't.
How old is grandpa ?
Is he from the "hey y'all watch this" generation?

As an answer to your question; no he can't teach.
In order to teach he needs to be a teacher which is no longer.
He can mentor yes, absolutely.

I completely agree with JAFI on this one.
If I, a licensed pilot without a CFI, teach my son everything about how to fly an airplane, all he will need to do to make the minimum dual requirements with an Acutal CFI and demonstrate to an Actual CFI that he is prepared for the test.

Uh..NO.
The applicant needs to meet all the requirements set forth in 61.109
There is nothing to gain.
It specifies:
(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (k) of this section, a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b)(1) of this part, and the training must include at least--
20+10=30 but that doesn't mean that the remaining 10 hours can be done by Billie Joe Bob's grandfather.
What's next a V-tail Bonanza?

Last edited:
If a person has an expired CFI certificate can that person give flight instruction to a pre-solo student, realizing that it won't count toward any of the flight time requirements? This would be in the owner's airplane with the owner giving instruction to his grandson.

I think it's OK because there is no rule against.

Yes he can teach, but the student cant log ANY of the time. Say again, the student cant put ANY of the time in his logbook.....at all.

14 CFR 61.3(d)(2)

Let him learn "A" way taught by a good current instructor. After he is proficient a grandfather can gift his experience and knowledge...

I couldn't agree more. Nothing will hinder a student's progress like being pulled in two different directions. He may be learning a valid, "right" way to do something from both parties, but for now, he needs to learn the way that the CFI signing the paperwork wants him to learn. It's a firehose as it is. Once he has passed the practical test, that's when I'd recommend he start building on that knowledge with his grandfather.

The hardest student I ever had was a woman who wanted her working-on-his-CFI husband to do all the "ground stuff," and only wanted to pay me for the bare minimum time in the air to "make it legal." Very, very frustrating for me and for her. Her husband would explain something -- often incorrectly -- and I'd have to re-explain it in the cockpit with the engine screaming (and burning money) because she wouldn't do any ground instruction with me before the flight.

She never soloed with me, and looking at FAA database, never got past the student pilot certificate she got 12 years ago.

Latest resources

Back