• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Expired CFI - Can he teach flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes he can teach, but the student cant log ANY of the time. Say again, the student cant put ANY of the time in his logbook.....at all.

You say the student can not put any of that time in a log book. I assume that means that something bad would happen if he did. Is that breaking a regulation of some kind, and if so do you have a reference for that.

It seems to me that a logbook is sort of like a diary, you can write what you want as long as that time is not being used as a fraud to qualify for certificate by entering that time on an 8710 airman application.

I know a person who was a private pilot and when he went for a trip on an airliner he logged that time as flight time and PIC (Passenger in Cabin) time. He never counted any of that time when he applied for his Instrument rating. So was it wrong for him to long that airline time? Was he breaking a rule of some kind?

... Is that breaking a regulation of some kind, and if so do you have a reference for that.

It seems to me that a logbook is sort of like a diary, you can write what you want as long as that time is not being used as a fraud to qualify for certificate by entering that time on an 8710 airman application.

Yes and no, IMHO the devil is in the details.

If (in this case) a student pilot makes an entry into their logbook (took a flight with Grandpa for over an hour) and does not count total time, PIC/solo time, or Instruction recieved - IMHO he is not recording flight time but a personal note. The log book is a legal record for recording flight time for currency and time for a certificate or rating (CFR 61.51).

If he uses that time for total time, that IMHO can be used for both times above.

61.59 Falsification, reproduction, or alteration of applications, certificates, logbooks, reports, or records.

(a) No person may make or cause to be made:

(1) Any fraudulent or intentionally false statement on any application for a certificate, rating, authorization, or duplicate thereof, issued under this part;

(2) Any fraudulent or intentionally false entry in any logbook, record, or report that is required to be kept, made, or used to show compliance with any requirement for the issuance or exercise of the privileges of any certificate, rating, or authorization under this part;

And one more point. When a student pilot does any thing the FSDO questions, the FAA will investigate the CFI to determine their competency to be a CFI. Most CFI do not get paid enough to keep a lawyer on retainer and IMHO, it is best to travel inside the boundries of the regulation than to live on the edge and maybe cross over.......

You say the student can not put any of that time in a log book. I assume that means that something bad would happen if he did. Is that breaking a regulation of some kind, and if so do you have a reference for that.

I know a person who was a private pilot and when he went for a trip on an airliner he logged that time as flight time and PIC (Passenger in Cabin) time. He never counted any of that time when he applied for his Instrument rating. So was it wrong for him to long that airline time? Was he breaking a rule of some kind?

the student cant log solo or dual time.....that make it easier to understand?

those two can go flying around all day, but the student cant log any of the time. none of it. And yes it's breaking a regulation. Gramps isnt a CFI so he cant allow the student to manipulate the controls.....

Last edited:
A minor point: The "FAR's" were a part of the Act of 1958 that established the FAA. In 1998 the Act of 1958 was codified into the US Code of Federal Regulations (CFR's). Here is a link to help you find that CFR reference:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl

Yes, of course that's true. Most everybody know that but still the 14CFR's sounds so awkward. To me and many others it's FAR's forever even though it is not technically correct.

Yes, of course that's true. Most everybody know that but still the 14CFR's sounds so awkward. To me and many others it's FAR's forever even though it is not technically correct.

My apologies. I badly was pointing this out to brokeflyer. It is a minor point - - but to search the "FAR's" I included the address under CFR's.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back