• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Expected MESA shutdown?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I see this discussion over and over again and I always wonder why people think Mesa would just shut down and liquidate without first going into bankruptcy. Isn't it more likely that Mesa would go into bankruptcy, restructure, and then continue as a somewhat smaller company?

I see greed at an employee level in those discussions if you ask me... (like: Am I going to benefit from the MESA demise??)

Mesa will be gone before spring. I'm saying this because JO is not doing anything about the fact that they keep losing money, nevermind their lawsuits and cash problems. Hopeing to limp by with Delta money is not a strategy. I'm thinking March of 09, you heard it here first! Bankruptcy is not an option because most likely it will lead to liquidation.

It sounds like you know what you are talking about but does that necessarily mean Mesa's customers would automatically dump them if they are still the cheapest out there?

Under normal circumstances the codeshares would not necessarily fire mesa just because they went into Ch.11.

But under the current circumstances, everyone is trying to dump capacity...a mesa BK would simply create an opportunity to do so painlessly via the BK clause.

I'm certain DAL would dump them (duh), I'm pretty sure airways would, and UAL might also. It would only take one of the three to put an end to this saga.

Airways might want to keep the 900's...so they might fire them and then re-negotiate some deal to keep the 900s only. Maybe.

I see greed at an employee level in those discussions if you ask me... (like: Am I going to benefit from the MESA demise??)

Under the current conditions, no one will really benefit short term with Mesa being liquidated as all UAL, DL & USAir are looking to reduce capacity. Most of Mesa's flying would probably not be replaced.

However, it might mean that other Regionals wouldn't have to bear the brunt of further capacity cuts.

Let's hope it works out for all. MESA bashing aside, there are livelihoods at stake.
This is true. I have never felt animosity toward the Mesa pilots. They are just trying to eke out a living in this mess like the rest of us. However, I will not pity them if they do find themselves out of a job. They know the deal.

Also, I could possibly benefit from Mesa biting the dust. I do not feel bad about hoping for that outcome. I admit right here that I check their stock price every day and I actively wish the company will go out of business. Its nothing personal against their pilots. I hope the company dies and I will personally benefit from it.

Under the current conditions, no one will really benefit short term with Mesa being liquidated as all UAL, DL & USAir are looking to reduce capacity. Most of Mesa's flying would probably not be replaced.

However, it might mean that other Regionals wouldn't have to bear the brunt of further capacity cuts.

I think Great Lakes would benefit. They have more routes to fly than aircraft to fly them. When MESA goes to liquidate Lakes can pick those 1900s up for cheap. They'll continue to grow flying the EAS routes. And I don't see USAir or UAL reducing all the flying that MESA does, so some regionals would get additional flying.

eP.

I think Great Lakes would benefit. They have more routes to fly than aircraft to fly them. When MESA goes to liquidate Lakes can pick those 1900s up for cheap. They'll continue to grow flying the EAS routes. And I don't see USAir or UAL reducing all the flying that MESA does, so some regionals would get additional flying.

eP.

You do know that Air Midwest is no longer around, right?

Latest resources

Back