• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Excuse Me...I Thought

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Honestly, if AAI pilots (who did not qualify to apply to WN at the time they were hired) are put ahead of SWA pilots (who did get hired and were qualified) how can you say those SWA pilots were not injured in this hypothetical process?

The knife cuts both ways.

Yeah it does, and you just cut your own legs off with it.

You have no idea how many AirTran pilots were hired with the qualifications to work at SWA do you ? The vast majority had more than 1000 TPIC. We both know that it is an easy minimum benchmark.

The funniest part about this whole deal is the fact that the least qualified were hired well over a decade ago. They'll be the ones that will keep their Captain seats.

All of the ones that Sacha loves so much will be sitting pretty.

:D

"The funniest part about this whole deal is the fact that the least qualified were hired well over a decade ago."

I do not think I could be hired at SWA in todays environment...I have been at SWA for a decade...we had 7k apps for 100 slots in the last window...

Dicko

Given a choice would you have gone to SWA or AAI the day you got hired?

Honestly!

At what point would you have decided you were too vested in airTran that you no longer would jump ship to WN? Many of your former colleagues left your company to come here after years at AAI. They gave up seniority at AAI due to career expectations at SWA. This is relevant.

Please give me an honest answer.

I'll grant you this. We have former pilots from LUV who left and went to United, Delta, American, etc. I know a few and the timing of their jump was Y2K. Obviously in this industry things change and top of the heap to bottom of the heap can happen in a snap. So, I understand that although our CBA kicks butt right now it actually is cause for concern. Nevertheless, I don't see how anytime in the history of SWA/AAI where AAI was a more lucrative or desirable place to be.

This is a crazy industry that's for sure.

As a brick.

Binding arbitration means IF the lists integrate it is binding.

BUT, Gary doesn't have to merge the lists.

Then arbitration won't matter. Not a threat. Just explaining the process.

Why would he integrate a list that pissed off the 6,000 pilots who worked at his company BEFORE the acquisition? I'm betting he wouldn't. Sure he would like to reach an agreement, but he doesn't HAVE TO.[/QUOTE

Afraid of FAIR AND EQUITABLE arbitration? So get big daddy to fight your battles for you. Yeah that's fair. Add trannies and clampetts to the grandes, grannies and gays vocabulary.

If he realized the integration would destroy the company he would make the choice to divest. That would be rational and in the best interest of the shareholders.

This is not about making disparaging remarks about big daddy or assuming all of us are "the stuck mike" guy. Realize what is at stake and what a smart CEO will do. Do you think Mr. Kelly has a favorable view of the MEC after round 1? He is the CEO. It's his call.

Dicko

Given a choice would you have gone to SWA or AAI the day you got hired?

A very fair question.

SWA wasn't hiring when I was interviewing at AirTran.
The strange thing about your question is that I really had to think about my answer. The logical one would be SWA. I based going to AirTran on the theory that if you've just been hired at the "It" airline then you are going to be furloughed or a victim of massive career stagnation. With the benefit of hindsight I was correct. The only slight exception is .... SWA.

When I was hired the upgrade time was 2.5 years. I was very lucky and it was one of the reasons I came here. I've probably earned slightly less at AirTran but I've also enjoyed it. Almost without exception I like the people that I work with and I feel comfortable when I walk into the cockpit. That matters to me. A lot.

My "theory" was that given a nearly 30 year career at a rapidly growing and profitable LCC I might be in on the ground floor of something. How are the guys doing that were hired at SWA 30 years ago ? I know now that my theory was a little off :erm:

Honestly!

At what point would you have decided you were too vested in airTran that you no longer would jump ship to WN?

I think that after I upgraded I decided that if I was going to move on it would be to an airline with real International flying. Friends at DAL tried to get me to apply in 06 and I'm glad I stayed.

Many of your former colleagues left your company to come here after years at AAI. They gave up seniority at AAI due to career expectations at SWA. This is relevant.

Yes they did and many of them were Captains. It also appears that in terms of seniority that was not an accretive decision. It should have been and I admire them for it. It just proves your point about a crazy and often unfair industry.

Please give me an honest answer.

I'll grant you this. We have former pilots from LUV who left and went to United, Delta, American, etc. I know a few and the timing of their jump was Y2K. Obviously in this industry things change and top of the heap to bottom of the heap can happen in a snap. So, I understand that although our CBA kicks butt right now it actually is cause for concern. Nevertheless, I don't see how anytime in the history of SWA/AAI where AAI was a more lucrative or desirable place to be.

This is a crazy industry that's for sure.

Long answers. Sorry.

Luvfan, I was hired by AAI in 2000, and declined a Southwest interview one year later. I just flew with an 06 hire who also turned down the interview.

Latest resources

Back