Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ever get Turned or Slowed for The "Love Machine"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This past Friday afternoon we are sitting in the hold pad for R/W 23 in BUF awaiting a flow control wheels up time from ATC. BUF ground clears SWA XXX for taxi to R/W 23 via Alpha. SWA XXX then takes it upon themselves to depart via an intersection short of the end of the runway. Incredulous voice from the tower says "well that's not the departure end of the runway but cleared for takeoff anyway." SWA XXX uses so much thrust going around this corner that we go IFR for a few seconds sitting in the hold pad as sand and dirt is kicked up in the unpaved areas of this little used taxiway. When the dust clears we see SWA heading down the runway and somewhere around 60 kts SWA XXX asks "umm confirm SWA cleared for takeoff?"
BUF tower with a sigh in their voice simply says "affirmative". The clear implication that it doesn't matter, you're SWA and you're going to do what you want anyway.

After this entertaining sequence the FO and I look at each other and agree that the cowboy mentality is alive and well at SWA.

Not flame, just a factual story of an interesting sequence of events.

Y'all be careful out there

Crazy cowboys! Note to self. If you're going to be a Cowboy, be sure not to blow away any other airplanes and ALWAYS make sure you're cleared for takeoff.

Gup

This past Friday afternoon we are sitting in the hold pad for R/W 23 in BUF awaiting a flow control wheels up time from ATC. BUF ground clears SWA XXX for taxi to R/W 23 via Alpha. SWA XXX then takes it upon themselves to depart via an intersection short of the end of the runway. Incredulous voice from the tower says "well that's not the departure end of the runway but cleared for takeoff anyway." SWA XXX uses so much thrust going around this corner that we go IFR for a few seconds sitting in the hold pad as sand and dirt is kicked up in the unpaved areas of this little used taxiway. When the dust clears we see SWA heading down the runway and somewhere around 60 kts SWA XXX asks "umm confirm SWA cleared for takeoff?"
BUF tower with a sigh in their voice simply says "affirmative". The clear implication that it doesn't matter, you're SWA and you're going to do what you want anyway.

After this entertaining sequence the FO and I look at each other and agree that the cowboy mentality is alive and well at SWA.

Not flame, just a factual story of an interesting sequence of events.

Y'all be careful out there

The FAA really needs to ground this airline for their unsafe practices, including their maint. and pft program!

The controller just said it- and said it well-- if you want priority- tell yourself and your peers to stop flying like ******************************s.

That’s it… You have got to be gay.

Just Kidding!

I’ll remember that next time I’m asked to smoke the brakes to expedite my runway departure because some blue top is riding my ass.

In all honesty I envy people like waveflyer who can find the time and dedication to stay in shape in this industry. Of course if you only work two or three times a month on reserve and pull down 130+ K as a RSV F/O it would be a lot easier to find the time and energy to hit the gym.

I will also state that it is obvious to me that LUV gets preferential treatment here in Phoenix. My favorite is holding short of 25R with a line of A/C on Romeo while we wait for you know who to finish a visual to 25R. With no one on short final for 25L, just so they can save themselves five min of taxi time.

That’s it… You have got to be gay.

Just Kidding!

Nope, you got it right, waveflyer is gay!

I’ll remember that next time I’m asked to smoke the brakes to expedite my runway departure because some blue top is riding my ass.

But in waveflyer's case, he probably likes that!:laugh::blush:

In all honesty I envy people like waveflyer who can find the time and dedication to stay in shape in this industry. Of course if you only work two or three times a month on reserve and pull down 130+ K as a RSV F/O it would be a lot easier to find the time and energy to hit the gym.
He has a big mouth, no doubt, but staying in shape.........NAAAAH!

I will also state that it is obvious to me that LUV gets preferential treatment here in Phoenix. My favorite is holding short of 25R with a line of A/C on Romeo while we wait for you know who to finish a visual to 25R. With no one on short final for 25L, just so they can save themselves five min of taxi time.
They make up for it with their high speed taxis! The problem is that the feds need to take a closer look at their shabby maint. program and how they make their employees pay for their jobs!

Sorry Mesa serf- no excuses- stating in shape takes good choices mostly- and in a pinch- like a Mesa schedule- which ive done and worse (try night cargo 6 nights a week on unsched part 135 flt limits) 20 minutes day is more than enough-

As far as the gay comments- I'm not offended- it's just not an insult- we are who we are-so why would I care to defend- Its on par with you saying I have blue eyes when they're really brown....and thinking that's an insult- The "who cares, you're an idiot" meter is pegged at zero

Sorry Mesa serf- no excuses- stating in shape takes good choices mostly- and in a pinch- like a Mesa schedule- which ive done and worse (try night cargo 6 nights a week on unsched part 135 flt limits) 20 minutes day is more than enough-
Sounds like the typical sw schedule.

As far as the gay comments- I'm not offended- it's just not an insult- we are who we are-so why would I care to defend-
At least you're comfortable with it!:laugh:

Its on par with you saying I have blue eyes when they're really brown....and thinking that's an insult- The "who cares, you're an idiot" meter is pegged at zero
But the "who cares you're a loser" meter has pegged off the scale!

You folks, Scopes and GL, make it hard to determine who the biggest idiot on FI is. You fools are in one he11 of a race!! Losers.

I've never been more rested than at SW- AMs or PMs no reversing----

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back