• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Europe building HYDROGEN passenger jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is an interesting article about the Hindenburg that if I can find it I will repost. It basically said that the hydrogen in the Hindenburg propably vented into the atmosphere and contributed little if any to the fire. It said that what burned was the skin of the blimp itself. It was painted silver to control the heating of the envelope by the sun. The paint was made with the same materials found in rocket fuels. Furthermore, it speculated that the hydrogen wouldn't have burned that quickly.

For what it's worth...

edit... I found the site: http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/hydrogen.htm

Last edited:
A smarter way to go when oil runs out is to use hydrogen to power land-based vehicles. Then liquefy coal to burn in aircraft. If we generate all our electricity using nuclear and solar power we will have many years of coal left.

We are nearing peak oil, but it's not going to be as dramatic as some predict. The first thing that happens when oil goes $100-200/barrell is that we have a major recession, affecting us China greatly. Demand for oil will go down worldwide.

So Jetflyer, how are the shares in "Magnetic Powerplants" selling? . . .
Have you looked into this cool new technology - Cold Fusion??

Khloard,
This is about hydrogen aircraft. That was a different thread that we talked about cold fusion. Talk on that thread if you want to talk about fusion.
Jet

Hydrogen is supposed to be safer and less flamable than gasoline.

It will be expensive to run on hydrogen fuel, but then again gasoline is going to get a lot more expensive than the hydrogen SOON.

Jet

Why can't we use the "Magnetic Powerplants" to run our airpanes??
Or to make Hydrogen?

Klhoard,

I know what you're talking about now. I reviewed that other thread. I posted an article on something that might "SAVE US through a TECHNOLOGICAL BREAKTHROUGH".

You thought I had stock in this company and was just trying to profit. There is no company! It was information about research done by scientists. They think they have found a great new form of energy.

It was a Zero Point Energy article. It's a new technology that will take years to ramp up and IN THEORY can pull energy out of thin air. The government has been testing this energy through the TESLA project up in Alaska for decades.

It may help in the future, but really we need good 'ole NUCLEAR power now. GE and Warren Buffet are both making big investments in Nuclear power. The U.S. government is pushing Nuc Power in their Energy Policies.

Nuclear Power is ECO-FRIENDLY and PROVEN. Plants can be built in 3-5 years instead of 10 as in the past.

There are 104 Nuclear power Plants in the U.S. producing 20% of our power.

The old ones are safe, can be built even safer now, and can be used to PRODUCE THE HYDROGEN TO POWER FUTURE AUTOMOBILES AND AIRCRAFT.

Let's hope Hydrogen aircraft are built soon. If a lot of us around 30, like myself, want to have a career at 60-65 we better hope a different aircraft or engine that runs on a different fuel is built!!

Jet

jetflyer said:
Hydrogen is supposed to be safer and less flamable than gasoline.Jet
Exactly. In a car or plane crash, liquid gasoline spills all over the wreckage and the victims, and then burns. Hydrogen, being the lightest element, escapes into the air and rises quickly. There may be a momentary flash at the accident site, which could cause some burns to the victims, but it will rapidly dissipate upwards.

LAXSaabdude.

Draginass said:
Europe already tried a passenger aircraft that used hydrogen. Had a pretty bad accident a while back.
And by my recollection, most of the fatalities were attributable to falling or being crushed by the wreckage. As someone pointed out earlier, the initial hydrogen combustion went upward, and the rest of the combustion was the flammable outer skin burning.

LAXSaabdude.

Latest resources

Back