• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ERJ-195, B717, B737-600, Airbus 318?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
XJ slave, since you apparently work for XJ, you might want to read the minutes from the joint ALPA meeting in DTW last fall. The senoir NW 747 captain who attended and answered questions at the meeting(he currently has a seat on the Finance board at NW) said in response to a question, I believe, the smallest aircraft that NW would be operating in "the future" would be the A-319. FYI, I'll have been at Pinnacle 7 years in 2 weeks.

Boeing Rejects 717-300 For AirTran

Looks like Boeing isn't interested in building the 717 stretch and is pushing it's little 737 instead. This could backfire and send more folks over to Airbus:

"Boeing's top salesman has rejected the streched B717 (-300) during a meeting with AirTran today. Boeing is pushing for the larger 737NG.

"AirTran is looking for capacity more than 117 pax. 736 is 110-seater and 73G is 126-seater. Both can fly trans-continental, which suitable for AirTran's need.

"We are talking to AirTran. We think that a 737-700 or even a -600 might be the right size for doing what they do and have the capability to do what they are wanting to do," Bright told reporters on a teleconference.

There are 40 orders for the 717. AirTran already plans to take 73 of all 153 717. It may order another 50 plus 50 options this year.

AirTran Chief Executive Joe Leonard told Reuters this week that the airline would also consider buying jets from Boeing rival Airbus SAS (XETRA:EAD.DE - News; Paris:EAD.PA - News), which builds a family of jets, the A320 class, ranging from 107 seats to 185."

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1016050/

Do not be too surprised, Boeing will build the 717-300, there is enough
interest right now for Boeing to go ahead with the 713er. Qantas, Hawaiian
& Airtran have all expresse interest. Boeing can not afford to lose anymore
customers. With the 717er, expect to see Northwest & Alaska take another
look at the 717.
With a family of 717's, Skywest may start to think Boeing....

Fleet simplification

B717, B737, CRJ, A320

It is a big mistake for Boeing to shelve the idea of stretching or shrinking the B717. The Type is DC9 for the MD80 and the B717.

Airlines are trying to simplify their fleets. Example: if Air Tran wants a bigger plane, the B717-300 would be the most logical choice. Same type, a few more pages in the POH and some differences training and your are checked out.

SkyWest: the CRJ stretched version would make more sense for the above reasons. Why add a different fleet type, bid package, added costs, etc.

B717 seats: Yes, they are uncomfortable. I believe the airlines that originally ordered them chose the RJ-typed seats for reduced costs, figuring it would be for shorter hauls. Corky, add your opinion.

If an operator goes with the B717 they could also operate the MD80 as more of them come available without the added costs of a different fleet type.

If I'm not mistaken SkyWest is currently looking at the 130 seat and less market. I dont know for sure but I doubt the Canadair could be stretched up to that seat count. If SkyWest decided to go up to that many seats I would think they would buy CRJ 50,70,90 as required and then jump to one more Type. The 717-200 would be ideal for this next jump if they knew the -300 would be there to take them up to the 130 seat range. This way you only have a total of two Types and keep training costs down. Of course I am making two assumptions and those are that the CRJ is about stretched out and that all three CRJ's could be flown with one type rating with differences training only. Does anybody know if this is a fact?

If Skywest wanted to fly anything over 70 seats, they would no longer be allowed to codeshare with Delta. This applies whether they fly those airplanes on the Delta code or not. Our contract forbids Delta from codesharing with any carrier that operates anything larger than 70 seats without the permission of the Delta MEC. That permission has not been granted for Skywest, and I don't imagine it would.

Therefore, any conversation or speculation about what airplane Skywest might choose must be accompanied by a discussion about whether or not their mgt would accept the loss of the Delta code in order to buy those rumored jets.

FlyDeltasJets, you bring up a good point and certainly something that should not be overlooked. When I started this thread I emphasized that "IF" SkyWest were to go looking for a bigger aircraft....We dont know that they will ever actually get one though it appears United will be asking them to fly the 70 seaters in the near future. From what I have heard, the CEO of SkyWest (Jerry Atkin) has been working with both Delta and United to come out with a Win/Win situation. In exchange for lowering operating costs for the major partners he is asking for more flexability with the current restrictions. He has already stated that scope at United is nearly dead because they need to do what ever they need to do to become profitable and this might include giving routes they they make no money on out to their regional affiliates with bigger airplanes. Is Delta still operating under Force Majeior sp? My interest lies in what happens if SkyWest can fly bigger airplanes. Figuring out what airplane is kind of an interesting exercise for me and some others not meant to get anybody hot under the collar about scope clauses and the like. No hard feelings, OK?

Now that I have covered that ground I want to touch on what I think Airtran will do if Boeing doesn't build the 717 stretch. If in fact Airbus is "giving away" their airplanes as has been reported lately then I would not be surprized to see Airtran Add a second type to their fleet in the form of a A318/19. At the last aviation conference Airtran said they are not aposed to operating two aircraft types. It will be interesting to see how that all plays out and what they (Boeing, Airtran) decide to do.

Last edited:
Re: Fleet simplification

Jeff Helgeson said:
B717, B737, CRJ, A320

B717 seats: Yes, they are uncomfortable. I believe the airlines that originally ordered them chose the RJ-typed seats for reduced costs, figuring it would be for shorter hauls. Corky, add your opinion.

If an operator goes with the B717 they could also operate the MD80 as more of them come available without the added costs of a different fleet type.

we asked several vendors to place a bid......the cheapest won. The only say the airlines had was cloth or wool skin.

Corky, thanks fo rthe clarification.

When the B717 arrived on the property at TWA, the plane was well received. I did notice the seats felt work like the type on the RJ; not as comfortable as other jetliners. The DC9 even had beter seat!

I thought the airline was trying save a buck, but this time it looks like it was the manufacturer.

Who me, spell check? Nah!

eom

Latest resources

Back