• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ERJ-170......cost?..maint?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sao Paulo is about to become a very busy place with the oders expected in Early 2005 for the EMB170/190 family of aircraft.XJT to convert their EMB145 options to 170/190 ?

I believe the captain pay at MidAtlantic is a direct copy of the Eagle 70 seat payrates- except that all pilots start at first year pay reguardless of their years of seniority at other airlines. The cost for flight crews that was posted was including the cost of training them added to their salaries over the first year- training aint cheap, but their actual hourly wages sure are. The guys who became captains under the jets for jobs deals were at least able to fly 50 seaters at 50 seat rates, but keeping their years of seniority (they should all be top of the pay scale at whatever company they went to- significantly more money than they would be making at MidAtlantic).

Smoked Toilet said:
Crew $699... right...

what does a captain make on the guppy killer?

right....
The crew cost includes the amortization cost of training for the first year. Being able to read helps. This is the same reason 717 crews at Midwest were over $1k the first year.

Another thing you have to factor into the equation is annual block hours, crew utilization, crew efficiency (22% overhead cost) and crew benefits overhead (34% overhead cost).

The equation:

Aircraft Utilization/Max Annual Block Hours = Minimum Crews per A/C
Minimimum Crews * Hourly Rate = Base
Base * 1.22 = Crew Efficiency Factor
Crew Efficiency Factor * 1.34 = Actual Rate

So, if the aircraft is used 3600 hours per year, you need 3.6 crews per aircraft. Worker Efficiency increases that requirement to 4.39 crews per aircraft. If the pay rate is $120/Hr (example) then the actual rate is $120*4.39/3.6 = $146.06 Hr. Add in benefits at 34% and the actual pay rate is $196.76. Add to that teh cabin crew rate which is also included in that figure and you're up around $250 an hour. Now, take the crew training costs (roughly $10-15K per crew member/per aircraft) and divide that by 3600. Not too difficult to hit the $699 mark is it?

It's never about straight pay.

Last edited:
I do believe you are all missing the point on my previous reply.

Apparently there are some supporters of the guppy killer out there. Keep supporting kids. Keep lowering the bar.

We all appreciate your support. hmm....

It's more comfortable than a guppy and it ensures I get service into smaller cities for a reasonable fare. No one missed your point. Perhaps you should call it the next newest toy in my driveway killer?

Skyboss said:
It's more comfortable than a guppy and it ensures I get service into smaller cities for a reasonable fare.
You need to look at where the planes are flying "point to point."
PHL, ORD, CLT, IAH, MCI, MKE, DFW, BOS and DCA.
I wouldnt say those are small markets.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, every express carrier that flies these....the pilots that fly them are eroding their own career potential and earning potential for the near and long term future.....but congratulations anyway.....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back