ERAU and Jet Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Riddle Jets

I am an ERAU grad. I find the idea of using jets in that manner of training impractical. However, I do not object to doing the training the normal way and then having an elective course in the senior year for a Citation type rating for those who wish to do so.

Its confession time, I went to ERAU and graduated 1999. When I look at the rates I paid for the CFI and AC rental I think it was quite a good deal. Soon after I graduated I went out west to Califorrinia and instructed for a year and half. The rates out there were a lot more than ERAU when I was there from 95 to 99. Of course, things may be different now and much more expensive. I feel I got my moneys worth from Pvt ASEL to CFI ASELIA. It is much more expensive now.

Waste of time and money. The only reason they would get a jet at Riddle is so that the loser lifers can get a chance to fly jets. It always made me laugh how some of the "faculty" instructors swaggered around the flight line like some aviation gods. Big fish, little pond. BTW it also used to piss me off how they would ALWAYS tack on .3 oral after every flight. But imagine the great stories they can tell, "There I was in a C172 the wind was over 15kts................................."

.3 oral, yeah that is pointless most of the instructors for private for the oral pretty much sign you logbook tell you wether or not you completed a lesson, then its time to disappear.

ERAU Oral

We could charge only .2 oral. I did spend the time with my students after the flight.

By the way, don't forget how some Riddle instructors piled on XT, whether or not their students needed it. All it took was an XT slip and a short walk to your Training Manager's office.

If Riddle wants to start up a jet program, I would agree with kilomike. Make it an elective and make it mean something, i.e. giving the student training that results in a type rating. You can set up a type rating course under Part 141. They could teach the ground school for the jet on campus. Do the student a favor. The type would transfer to the student's ATP after he/she takes that practical.

Here's my thoughts on this...

Instead of doing Jet training at ERAU.... have the students do ALL training after their Private in the twin (Duchess, Seminole, C-340, etc...)... The added cost of this would probably equate to what the jet course would cost anyhow...

Students would then graduate Riddle with over 125 hours of multi-time (over the magic 100 hours a lot of insurance companies require for flying twins). I think this emphasis on multi training would be of much greater and practical value to the students.

Odds are a Riddle student isn't going to be going right into a jet or even a turbo-prop right after graduation.... But they will probably be a CFI and have the opportunity to try and get some twin time... They probably won't fly a jet until a couple years down the road... by that time they will need to be retrained anyhow (my thoughts are the same about the 727 sim time they sell).... So in essence, their jet training was a waste of money...

Spend their money on the twin time, it would be more valuable in their early career as they get started in the industry.... Also change the ciriculum to have students go from Private all the way through CFI, CFI-I & CFI-ME as part of the Bachelor of Aeronautical Science Program.... These are more valuable right out of school....

Later down the road, your employers will pay for your jet training and type ratings.... I haven't paid a penny for training or to fly since I left Riddle back in '90....

Just my $0.02 for whatever it is worth!

Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back